Combat. Anyone else feel it needs work?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Combat. Anyone else feel it needs work?

This game has everything going for it. It does every single MMORPG aspect flawlessly, EXCEPT combat. Traditional tab targetting dull and unoriginal, not to mention boring. The "action combat" still looks awkward and has a lack of fluidity. Instead of having a weird in between state where they offer both types, I think they should just go full action combat, and that will attract a lot of more people and make it very successful.

Thoughts?
    • ChrisTofu wrote:

It does every single MMORPG aspect flawlessly (...)

I honestly disagree with that one but well... that's another case.

ChrisTofu wrote:

This game has everything going for it. It does every single MMORPG aspect flawlessly, EXCEPT combat. Traditional tab targetting dull and unoriginal, not to mention boring. The "action combat" still looks awkward and has a lack of fluidity. Instead of having a weird in between state where they offer both types, I think they should just go full action combat, and that will attract a lot of more people and make it very successful.Thoughts?

Decide for one System - Yes, definitely.
      Go Action Combat - At this point, they should do the traditional system if you ask me. The game is still in polishment/development. Finishing one option and disable the other one could be still implemented. However I think they said they wanted to offer both.

The combat itself isn't action based or semi-action based. Most of the abilities are still target specific rather than creating a physical action and determine hits via physics or hitbox detection.

The targeting is action combat based. I think GW2 also implemented it with a recent patch (think with HoT expansion or so) as well.

To be honest - combat feels unresponsive, sometimes really sluggish. However I had the same issue with ArcheAge and Aion while playing in KR. I won't say everything is ping depended. But combat itself is way smoother with a decent ping. Just to keep that in mind.

The crux with these both systems - the free-aiming and the classic-aiming - is the following:

Free aiming still has the flaw to ping-pong between targets if they are very close together. AoE grinding with the Paladin for example which requires to apply a certain skill combo to exactly 1 target in order to work as an AoE is really annoying because of that. Same for other melee classes as well as for Ranged classes when you kite mob trains. If you could lock on a target by will (pressing a special key or so like in SkyForge) could help maybe. Anyway this is one of my concerns.
      Also if a player jumps around it is incredible hard to get a target locked. This is also the case when players like Assassins teleport behind you and stun you. Until you are out of the stun and turned around and selected your target the assassin is already at your back again. The classic-targeting is way more forgiving.
      The crux on the classic-targeting is that you can't react as fast as you can with the free-aiming system.

In short because of the class diversity I think both systems have their place. Especially healers are having some benefits from the old system. The only thing they have to improve is the fact that the free-aiming system still isn't exactly perfect for PvP situations with fewer players involved.
    • I hope they offer both, I personally like action combat but my wife and a few of my fellow gamers from UO and EQ launch still enjoy tab targeting and the tactical thinking it requires. That and for some of us older gamers tab targeting is a necessity, case in point a friend from my platoon who had a hand blown off, he cant action game at all though he loves a lot of the newer MMORPGs.
    • Thanks for both your responses!

@Nito
      I see all your points. They can still offer both modes whilst improving the action combat. Look at a game like Blade & Soul. It has a targetting system but it's still action combat. Many skills are target based but they still have their own hitboxes. For example, if an assassin throws a poison bomb, even though it is technically a single target move, it was still damage all surrounding mobs. The same should be done for Bless, even though an AoE skill may be technically single target, it should damage all mobs in the area. With regards to the healer, you can still have action based combat, like in TERA. For example, they could make it so that you could aim your cross-heirs and lock on to an ally to heal them.
      All in all, I strongly believe that they can retain the option of having both systems, while still having engaging action combat (as other games have).

@Thorgar
      I understand that, but the vast majority of MMORPG players of this generation love action combat. Look at the huge success of TERA, Blade & Soul, and Black Desert. Although the old combat may appeal to older players, if they want this game to be successful, they have to cater to this generation of players. Everything about this game is beautiful, but I've seen so many people not give it a second glance because they see the combat. I look at tons of YouTube comments, and all I see is comments like "The game is beautiful but the combat is boring and unoriginal, not going to play this game." Again, like i stated above, they can still retain both options but make more of an action feel to it.

I really want this game to succeed as I think it has immense potential- the biggest thing bringing it down is its combat.
    • @ChrisTofu

IMO action combat are great with pvp i means 1v1 or 3v3 but for GvG it's AOE spam and range atk classes such as ranger or mage are hard to implement. (Please don't make them in FPS)
      Ex. BNS all range classes are target locked and melee class are inferior in terms of GvG so if you are looking for 1v1 games BNS is a great game but for GvG it's not.

Sigil
    • Though I would point out that the top three successful games financially are also tab targeted, their is a down side to action combat, your class determines your weapon you get no choice. In WoW you can pick what type of warrior you are and even switch it out, want sword and shield go for it, want two handed, go for it. You cannot do that in Tera, Blade & Soul, or Black Desert. Also you get a lot of them where it makes the character feel like its floating or just doing an animations separate from the world at large and even the targets you attack. Then again I do like action combat when done right. if you get the feeling of your character knocking around a target it makes it more fun for me.

I do miss the more tactical thinking required by tab targeting, but i enjoy the fast pace of action combat. I would love to see a system that blends the two done well.
    • Thorgar wrote:

Though I would point out that the top three successful games financially are also tab targeted, their is a down side to action combat, your class determines your weapon you get no choice. In WoW you can pick what type of warrior you are and even switch it out, want sword and shield go for it, want two handed, go for it. You cannot do that in Tera, Blade & Soul, or Black Desert. Also you get a lot of them where it makes the character feel like its floating or just doing an animations separate from the world at large and even the targets you attack. Then again I do like action combat when done right. if you get the feeling of your character knocking around a target it makes it more fun for me.

I do miss the more tactical thinking required by tab targeting, but i enjoy the fast pace of action combat. I would love to see a system that blends the two done well.

Having a weapon specific to your class is definitely not specific to action-combat MMOs, I'm not sure how that's relevant. With regards to the "character feel like it's floating or doing animations separate from the world", I'm not sure where you're getting that.

In any case, I agree with you that this game should devise a system that blends both styles together well. It'll bring both old school and new gen players together. We shall see.
    • ChrisTofu wrote:

Thorgar wrote:

Though I would point out that the top three successful games financially are also tab targeted, their is a down side to action combat, your class determines your weapon you get no choice. In WoW you can pick what type of warrior you are and even switch it out, want sword and shield go for it, want two handed, go for it. You cannot do that in Tera, Blade & Soul, or Black Desert. Also you get a lot of them where it makes the character feel like its floating or just doing an animations separate from the world at large and even the targets you attack. Then again I do like action combat when done right. if you get the feeling of your character knocking around a target it makes it more fun for me.

Having a weapon specific to your class is definitely not specific to action-combat MMOs, I'm not sure how that's relevant. With regards to the "character feel like it's floating or doing animations separate from the world", I'm not sure where you're getting that.

In any case, I agree with you that this game should devise a system that blends both styles together well. It'll bring both old school and new gen players together. We shall see.

Early action combat games had it so your character would swing through your target then it would activate its animation for a hit. Also when moving to attack they would float above or through terrain. I haven't had the chance to try Bless yet but from what ive seen it does not seem to have that issue. I was speaking of action combat games in general.
    • So far the combat feels a little clunky to me (granted I'm still low level, so maybe it changes as I get more skills, etc), but it just seems to be kind of a slow to react, tab target system...I would love to see this game with more of an action combat similar to blade and soul or wildstar, not necessarily a clone of those systems, but so far it doesn't feel very fluid to me. It's not game breaking imo, I still really like the game, but if they could just tweak/speed up the combat somehow without having to completely gut the system.
    • I played mage and I didnt like it. It felt way too immobile so I rerolled an archer and I enjoy that alot more. I really got no complains about the combat from an archers point of view besides the ~300-400 ping which makes everything feel delayed, but that's Korea and not the games fault.
    • Nito wrote:

ChrisTofu wrote:

It does every single MMORPG aspect flawlessly (...)

I honestly disagree with that one but well... that's another case.

ChrisTofu wrote:

This game has everything going for it. It does every single MMORPG aspect flawlessly, EXCEPT combat. Traditional tab targetting dull and unoriginal, not to mention boring. The "action combat" still looks awkward and has a lack of fluidity. Instead of having a weird in between state where they offer both types, I think they should just go full action combat, and that will attract a lot of more people and make it very successful.Thoughts?

Decide for one System - Yes, definitely.
      Go Action Combat - At this point, they should do the traditional system if you ask me. The game is still in polishment/development. Finishing one option and disable the other one could be still implemented. However I think they said they wanted to offer both.

The combat itself isn't action based or semi-action based. Most of the abilities are still target specific rather than creating a physical action and determine hits via physics or hitbox detection.

The targeting is action combat based. I think GW2 also implemented it with a recent patch (think with HoT expansion or so) as well.

To be honest - combat feels unresponsive, sometimes really sluggish. However I had the same issue with ArcheAge and Aion while playing in KR. I won't say everything is ping depended. But combat itself is way smoother with a decent ping. Just to keep that in mind.

The crux with these both systems - the free-aiming and the classic-aiming - is the following:

Free aiming still has the flaw to ping-pong between targets if they are very close together. AoE grinding with the Paladin for example which requires to apply a certain skill combo to exactly 1 target in order to work as an AoE is really annoying because of that. Same for other melee classes as well as for Ranged classes when you kite mob trains. If you could lock on a target by will (pressing a special key or so like in SkyForge) could help maybe. Anyway this is one of my concerns.
      Also if a player jumps around it is incredible hard to get a target locked. This is also the case when players like Assassins teleport behind you and stun you. Until you are out of the stun and turned around and selected your target the assassin is already at your back again. The classic-targeting is way more forgiving.
      The crux on the classic-targeting is that you can't react as fast as you can with the free-aiming system.

In short because of the class diversity I think both systems have their place. Especially healers are having some benefits from the old system. The only thing they have to improve is the fact that the free-aiming system still isn't exactly perfect for PvP situations with fewer players involved.

aweee...sad face...tab target just pushed my guild out...damn...was starting to look this direction...will never play tab target again...imo its just to easy to dominate with programs and honestly I think its just the easy way out for a dev team...oh well...thanks but no thanks...good luck to all
    • OhmyBless wrote:

So therefore, I can feedback on neowiz about combat system, it's pretty lack of chain system(except berserker.)

Paladin comes way it feels so boring, tired.. there's not many attack skills, and it's little clunky too.

Mage is very immobille, need some improvements.

+plus also they overhaul some core skills.
    • OhmyBless wrote:

So therefore, I can feedback on neowiz about combat system, it's pretty lack of chain system(except berserker.)

Paladin comes way it feels so boring, tired.. there's not many attack skills, and it's little clunky too.

Mage is very immobille, need some improvements.

Please write tons of feedback to them for the combat system.
      They need to fix the targeting especially in free targeting mode. We need a "lock on" Button for classes that are not berserkerz! :)

Besides that, it could be a bit more fluid, but the targeting is what bugs me at the moment the most.
      Havent used tab target mode by now, but i like free aiming a bit more.

Have they stated anything regarding targeting or combat in general?!
    • I have been watching the forums for a little while anonymously and have been watching youtube videos of blessed online. Tab targeting and free targeting are simply out of date and yes boring. The fast action pace of true action combat style of black desert is a lot of fun, but it is so fast that boss fights become a one shot boss mechanic wonder and dps race targeting a brick which is also boring. The happy marriage of an mmo's combat system of Tera and Black Desert would be really fun to see in Blessed - if it isn't too late to do something like that already. Do away with tab targeting avoid the mindless hack and slash and create a system that allows some mechanics with a fair level of complexity.
    • I'm the other side of the coin, I started to follow bless because it was tab target unlike the majority of the incoming mmos with potential, I wanted to play a true old school mmorpg not an action game and i'm glad that they won't ditch it. But that's another topic of discussion I guess.

The current system needs some tweaks indeed, leaving aside that I would like to have some more skills and chains per build to offer more food for thought.

But even tab target doesn't work properly, you can be infront of a target, perfectly lined up and looking at it, and pressing tab targets someone/something behind the intended target.

Also you can't target PC's with tab (or control+tab or w/e shortcut you want to set), as a healer, healing anyone outside of my party is a pain, I have to manually click people to target them for a single target heal, trying to click on a mascu that never stops running/jumping can be a real challenge.
    Peria Chronicles