Combat. Anyone else feel it needs work?

• Personally i feel that the only tweak they must do is doing something about the Pre-Lock function (the ones that pre-select the most near target on your face-camera. You can see it because you will have an almost invisible crossair on the target) that makes the target jump from everything comes too near to you... sometimes it makes me go crazy as it happen to choose the wrong target...

Arkray wrote:

I'm the other side of the coin, I started to follow bless because it was tab target unlike the majority of the incoming mmos with potential, I wanted to play a true old school mmorpg not an action game and i'm glad that they won't ditch it. But that's another topic of discussion I guess.
      Well said..

BryanFury - Leader | Clan Website | Clan Forum | Clan Facebook Page |
    • bless99 wrote:

I have been watching the forums for a little while anonymously and have been watching youtube videos of blessed online. Tab targeting and free targeting are simply out of date and yes boring. The fast action pace of true action combat style of black desert is a lot of fun, but it is so fast that boss fights become a one shot boss mechanic wonder and dps race targeting a brick which is also boring. The happy marriage of an mmo's combat system of Tera and Black Desert would be really fun to see in Blessed - if it isn't too late to do something like that already. Do away with tab targeting avoid the mindless hack and slash and create a system that allows some mechanics with a fair level of complexity.
      I was thinking to write the same thing myself, that a mix of BDO & TERA battle system would be the best option in my opinion & something the majority of players are going to love for sure, for me BDO have the best & most fun combat I have ever experience in an MMORPG but I recognize after spending thousands hours playing that it have big flaws if you plan to use this kind of combat for a quality-PvE/party experience, BDO lack lock on targets option something TERA have & something that is very important imo if you want to create challenging content for parties like instants/raids, now if they blend these 2 together we have the perfect action/modern MMORPG combat that can be both fun & tactical & offer amazing experience no matter if you do PvP or PvE, that's what I would like to see me personal & I'm sure I'm not the only one.
    • I agree, combat definitely needs some work.
      Such a game not only needs, but deserves better combat.

It was the first thing I noticed when I started playing and which made me quit the game after about 10 minutes of playing. This kind of combat system is outdated, probably since 2008.
      Nowadays, what people want in MMORPGs is fast paced action combat with dodging. Tab target combat could also be enjoyable if they added proper dodging.
    • To be honest, I prefer tab target and I think that the latency makes the combat a disaster to us. Check out this korean video gameplay, the combat looks so different from what we're used to see when we play with high ping:

facebook.com/Pmang.Bless/videos/889450361177018/

We also need to remember that the game is still in early stage, lv45, they can't speed up the combat too much now cause we'll probably see a lot of buffs and equipments that improve the speed.
    • I hope you all know the Haste state increases atks a looot
      and with pretty good end game gear you're casting skills faster than the cooldowns wear off
      and even with my ping i fing my mage dishing out those (originally 2s cast time op spells) at about 1.3 seconds
      which is pretty strong imo
    • Symeria wrote:

To be honest, I prefer tab target and I think that the latency makes the combat a disaster to us. Check out this korean video gameplay, the combat looks so different from what we're used to see when we play with high ping:

facebook.com/Pmang.Bless/videos/889450361177018/

We also need to remember that the game is still in early stage, lv45, they can't speed up the combat too much now cause we'll probably see a lot of buffs and equipments that improve the speed.

Puremystic wrote:

I hope you all know the Haste state increases atks a looot
      and with pretty good end game gear you're casting skills faster than the cooldowns wear off
      and even with my ping i fing my mage dishing out those (originally 2s cast time op spells) at about 1.3 seconds
      which is pretty strong imo

Absolutely agreeing with both posts. People come from games like Black Desert and expect every combat system to be like that.
    • Maybe you should calm your fanboyism. We do not intend to hurt your precious game, we do have the right to speak our opinions, don't we?

I never stated that Bless should have a combat system like Black Desert (although Black Deserts combat system is one of the best). I simply stated that combat in Bless is so boring that it makes people dodge the game (pun intended, we should at least be able to dodge in 2016). It is not only my opinion, many current or potential players share the same opinion and have a problem with the "terrible" (as they say) combat system.

It is nice that you like the combat system, I also got used to it after playing for a while, but it still cannot be denied that the combat system is the weakest part of the game. It is sad that such a huge game with such huge potential failed on such a basic and important feature - the combat system.

I first heard about Bless in about 2011 or 2012, and at this time the combat system would have been OK, but not in todays standards. Simply adding the option to perform a roll that actually dodges attacks by double pressing movement keys (depending on which direction you want to dodge) would already make the system 2 times better than it currently is.

Maybe you should be less ignorant and accept the fact that a lot of players do not like the combat system (and they have every reason not to), not just us Black Desert players. I like both tab target and action combat, but a bad combat system is simply bad and there is nothing to like about it.

If you played WoW all your life and don't know about anything else and Bless is your 2nd MMO, then the combat system will obviously please you.

I will again give the example of Echo of Soul, which also has tab target combat, but it feels a lot more fun and action packed than Bless' system. However, Echo of Souls system is also bad, but that it is better than Bless is disappointing.
    • The weakest part for me in Bless is that there is no naval combat, which is present in all newer MMOs. You talk about speaking opinions but make your opinions sound as the ultimate truth. I'm not ignorant about the fact that alot of people dont like the combat system, as I already said, this combat system is the most popular in asia and it does not matter what we think about it in the west.

Combat is fundamental piece of a game is worked on very early. If you think that talking about it now will change anything in the game that we'll get in the west then you're simply wrong and Bless might not be the game for you, twist it however you want.
    • Twist it however you want. You are again pretending and assuming. I did not say "change" the system, I rather said "improve" it. While changing the system is very unlikely, improvements are still possible.

Also, you try to justify your claims with "tab targeting is popular in Asia, so western opinions don't matter", which is not true at all.
      Firstly, there are many games with action combat that are popular in asia, and thus made their way to the west.
      Secondly, if our opinions don't matter, then why do they bother releasing the game in the west? A fast cashgrab and shutdown?

To make it even easier for you to understand:
      1) I do not want action combat in Bless
      2) Tab targeting is fine, but it is very basic and Bless and needs improvements
      3) Stop assuming things. If you need more time to understand, read twice.
    • FliP wrote:

Maybe you should calm your fanboyism. We do not intend to hurt your precious game, we do have the right to speak our opinions, don't we?

I never stated that Bless should have a combat system like Black Desert (although Black Deserts combat system is one of the best). I simply stated that combat in Bless is so boring that it makes people dodge the game (pun intended, we should at least be able to dodge in 2016). It is not only my opinion, many current or potential players share the same opinion and have a problem with the "terrible" (as they say) combat system.

It is nice that you like the combat system, I also got used to it after playing for a while, but it still cannot be denied that the combat system is the weakest part of the game. It is sad that such a huge game with such huge potential failed on such a basic and important feature - the combat system.

I first heard about Bless in about 2011 or 2012, and at this time the combat system would have been OK, but not in todays standards. Simply adding the option to perform a roll that actually dodges attacks by double pressing movement keys (depending on which direction you want to dodge) would already make the system 2 times better than it currently is.

Maybe you should be less ignorant and accept the fact that a lot of players do not like the combat system (and they have every reason not to), not just us Black Desert players. I like both tab target and action combat, but a bad combat system is simply bad and there is nothing to like about it.

If you played WoW all your life and don't know about anything else and Bless is your 2nd MMO, then the combat system will obviously please you.

I will again give the example of Echo of Soul, which also has tab target combat, but it feels a lot more fun and action packed than Bless' system. However, Echo of Souls system is also bad, but that it is better than Bless is disappointing.
      Please, can you tell us where did you see that Black combat system is one of the best?? its in a scientic research or something? that's just your opinion. All those lights in BDO combat are terrible (and yes, thats my oppinion). Bless combat is boring for you, for other people, but not to everyone and you have to accept that. Did you play in Korea, or with less then 80 ping? I don't think so... Maybe you should be less ignorant and accept the fact that a lot of players do like the combat system (and they have they reason to do) or for others the combat's just ok. If you don't like the combat you have the option to not play the game. Have you thought about it? I played Lineage II 8 years ago, Aion, Tera, WoW, Rift and all kinds of MMO's and console games, and I don't say that any of them failed because something, I simply respect the fact that are people who enjoy that game and people who don't.
    • Expereince wrote:

About bless combats...

Pve needs more improvement yeah.
      Instance dungeons are very challenging, but it take a lot of times.

I don't think combat system should be overhauled.
      I agree, the dungeons are challeging, specially the lv43 dungeon.. you have to move a lot because of bosses AOE's. If you're the kind of player that just stay in one place smashing buttons you're dead.. :P
    • You are right, I don't have to play the game. And yes, that Black Desert has one of the best combat system is purely my opinion based of years of MMORPG experience. By the way, those light effects can be turned off in the settings, so talking down an very good, fast paced combo action combat system because of light effects looks like trying to find a reason to complain about.

You are also missing the point here. It is not about action combat at all, but rather that Bless' combat system is very basic and is bringing the game down.

My issue with combat is not the ping or anything related to playing a overseas version. Maybe you people should take some more time reading and understanding the forum, because I keep reading assumptions and false accusations on my behalf, and it is becoming boring after a while.

I am sorry to be the person to break it down for you, but the gaming industry is a business. All they care about is making money. Since Bless is going to be a Free to Play game, money will be made temporarily through Founder Packs, and in the long run through microtransactions. Those microtransactions will either just be convencience and vanity, or even p2w for more profit. With that being said, the publisher needs a large playerbase that will buy their convenience and vanity items. The only problem is, nobody needs the same costume twice, so people that have already purchased items have nothing further to spend their money on, which will lead to decreased revenue and "problems" from the higher ups, that will demand more money to fill their pockets. This is when P2W Items will hit the cash shop, make some quick money and drive the rest of the passionate community away.

This sort of went offtopic, but what I meant to say is that Neowiz and Aeria cannot afford losing potential players due to a too basic combat system. They need every player they can get or they won't make enough money and, as I mentioned, if not enough money is made, drastic measures in form of P2W are taken. We all know P2W games fail.

To break it down once again, I am not asking for a brand new system, a complete revamp or anything similar. I am asking for an improvement of the current system.

I am not hurting your precious game. quite the opposite, I am trying to make it better. You won't have fun with your favorite combat system if you will only have a handful of people to play it with. According to what I have read, heard and seen, there are more people disliking the combat system than the ones that are liking it. If (this is purely my own estimate) every 3rd player is turning his back to the game due to the combat system, then that is not good for Neowiz and Aeria. A lot of lost revenue.