Server Types?

• Anttyr wrote:

I play BLESS since RU OBT and to be honestly in some classes PvP sucks. A Mage never has chance against a assasin or berserk in 1 v 1.
      Ouh, that's hurting my eyes so mutch... and my feelings too ! First of all, if all classes are not balanced enought, i personally ain't gonna be playing this game. I mean if you can't challenge half of the game's classes because it's impossible to win those fights, pvp have no sense.
      Second thing, i've played mage on RU server and it's far from being impossible to win an assasin or berserker, reaaaally far... You just have to "shift" at the right time and kitt...

I know i'm getting away from the subject but i had to talk about this

Mage PVP

Here a video of a mage good enought, doing some pvp. And wait ! the first clip is him fighting both assasin and berserker ! :)
    • Lileen wrote:

Nocht wrote:

The setting of this game is a world in which two factions are at WAR with each other. Not "they don't like each other", they are literally in a state of constant war. You play the game as a member of one faction HELPING the cause of war against the other faction.

Bless is heavy, heavy, heavy on story, and what does that story consistently talk about?

Progression in Bless is 99% quest based, and what are those quests about?

Helping the cause, aka the war against the opposing faction.
      WoW works in a very, very similar fashion. Questing, lore, battlegrounds pitting players of opposite sides against each other, factions constantly at war with playable AND unplayable races that are either going to be your friends or your enemies depending on your allegiance. However, this game has provided players with ways to opt out of PvP since the very beginning, 13 years ago, and it has always been doing more than fine.
      Heck, the most successful and adored expansions are those whose theme was the appearance of a larger threat requiring the two factions to put their differences aside and ally in order to survive. I can totally see this happening in Bless with the elemental guardians going crazy, the infernal realm and the almighty pantheon of chaotic gods trying to reclaim their world back.

I'm not saying Neowiz should definitely consider adding a PvE server, but I certainly don't think doing so would "kill" the game. This is clearly an overstatement.
      This works for WoW because there is years of content to be done in WoW since the beginning, while Bless has less than 10% of content to be done in comparison. Even when I played 8h/day from Vanilla to WotLK, I was amazed at how constant I felt the "Jeez, there's still so much I need to learn.. and need to explore". Bless is simply not on the same level as this, not even anywhere close. The game systems, mechanics, the dungeons, the bosses, (besides from their lore), I would dare to call them shallow, but will settle with "very linear" to describe them. I agree, I don't think it would "kill" the game either to have a PvE server, but I think it is not necessary and is actually contradictory to the Bless fantasy world.

All of My Bless Videos
    • Hi Korealer,

I like BLESS because of a good story and also the graphic and others. And why should NEOWIZ lockout the PvE players which are the most of all? It's money for the company ;) . And defently more money with only PvP. For me BLESS is game with all possibilities I like. And when I will spend my money in a game in the future I prefered for the next 2 years BLESS. And once more .. I play PvP. But I want to have time where I can pickup materials or whatever and nobody can kill me. Thats all.
    • Anttyr wrote:

Hi Korealer,

I like BLESS because of a good story and also the graphic and others. And why should NEOWIZ lockout the PvE players which are the most of all? It's money for the company ;) . And defently more money with only PvP. For me BLESS is game with all possibilities I like. And when I will spend my money in a game in the future I prefered for the next 2 years BLESS. And once more .. I play PvP. But I want to have time where I can pickup materials or whatever and nobody can kill me. Thats all.
      Because the game is built around for the sake of pvp when you are playing Bless. Like the game from the ground up, is built all around pvp content. Thats what Neowiz wants and how they created their game.
    • Nocht wrote:

This game is about the war against the opposing faction, so a server in which you cannot fight the opposing faction goes against all content of Bless.
      I don't think anyone is arguing for servers that completely abolish pvp. At least I'm not. There should absolutely be certain zones that flag everyone who enters for pvp. Contested territory on the front lines, etc.

I understand your argument from the perspective of thematics; the 2 factions are locked in a heated war and each is doing everything they possibly can to defeat the other at all times. That would explain why there's a chance of getting attacked by the enemy no matter where you go. I get that. Thematically, it makes sense.

But from a practical position, your game is going to die off rather quickly if it gives trolls even an inch of wiggle room. If a group of max lvl players can slip into low level zones and massacre new players, or players who just want to chill and enjoy other parts of the game, those players wont stay in the game.

If your argument is that Bless is only meant for PVPers, then that's fine I guess, they can make their game however they want. I think other games have already proven that, at least in Western markets, alienating your pve-crowd for the sake of your hardcore PVPers is a guaranteed way for your game to "die." And by "die" I mean lose all but your most fervent fans (I'm aware that financially/technically speaking most of the MMOs out there are still successful). I get the impression that some people think that if we just don't have pve servers, all those pve players will HAVE to just mingle with the rest of us and get ganked. That's definitely not the case. Like I've said, and the history of previous open pvp titles will show, those pve players just WONT PLAY. So you're not doing yourself any favors, you're not sneakily forcing more "soft targets" to expose themselves to you. You're just reducing the total # of players in the game. Which hurts the game as a whole.

To Nito's point about the cash shop item that makes you invulnerable to pvp for a while (I think its 15 mins per potion?) That's not going to matter. People who don't want to get ganked all the time aren't going to see a 15 min potion that they constantly have to pay real money for as any kind of tenable solution. They just wont play. So the idea that Neowiz would be losing all this income in the "peace potion" market isn't very realistic imo.

Someone else mentioned how WoW's PVE servers are set up, and I think that's a pretty good baseline. If the game then incorporated open pvp zones, wherein perhaps the most sought after resources could be found, or perhaps some very rewarding dailies require you to go, in order to foster more pvp for those who want it, that would be a pretty decent place to start.

And like I said before, if the game can't support ONE pve server in NA and ONE pve server in EU because of "split population" concerns...then they don't have enough demand for this game and its going to fail regardless.
    • Lileen wrote:

Nocht wrote:

The setting of this game is a world in which two factions are at WAR with each other. Not "they don't like each other", they are literally in a state of constant war. You play the game as a member of one faction HELPING the cause of war against the other faction.

Bless is heavy, heavy, heavy on story, and what does that story consistently talk about?

Progression in Bless is 99% quest based, and what are those quests about?

Helping the cause, aka the war against the opposing faction.
      WoW works in a very, very similar fashion. Questing, lore, battlegrounds pitting players of opposite sides against each other, factions constantly at war with playable AND unplayable races that are either going to be your friends or your enemies depending on your allegiance. However, this game has provided players with ways to opt out of PvP since the very beginning, 13 years ago, and it has always been doing more than fine.
      Heck, the most successful and adored expansions are those whose theme was the appearance of a larger threat requiring the two factions to put their differences aside and ally in order to survive. I can totally see this happening in Bless with the elemental guardians going crazy, the infernal realm and the almighty pantheon of chaotic gods trying to reclaim their world back.

I'm not saying Neowiz should definitely consider adding a PvE server, but I certainly don't think doing so would "kill" the game. This is clearly an overstatement.

And that is exactly correct. To say adding a PvE server would kill the game is an overreaction.

Again, this is something that should be an individual's =CHOICE= not something forced on them. Yes, it's faction against faction... but so was WoW. And so were many others:

Final Fantasy - since 1990!
      Star Wars - since 2005
      Guild Wars - since 2005

And there are others that haven't run quite as long, but have been hugely successful... simply by giving their players a choice.

I understand that die-hard PvP'ers think there's nothing better. But let's try to be realistic here. If you can play the game the way YOU like to play it, don't you think others... the casual gamers, the seniors, the roleplayers... would enjoy the same option?

I mean, the graphics alone in this game are extraordinary. I'd certainly like to enjoy and explore those at my leisure without staying alert every moment. When I want to kill someone, I'll go to a PvP area and kill someone. The rest of the time, I'll be spending time with my friends and helping them enjoy the things =they= like.

I generally play on a PvE server that offers me the option for PvP because most of my friends fall into the "casual gamer" category and they don't really appreciate that rush you get from PvP. That gives me the option to get into PvP when I want and to gently introduce my friends to it, as well. I've even been able to convert a few over the years.

Also, bear in mind that in actual WAR the entire world is not involved. Some countries will battle it out, while other countries will stay the heck out of it. Consider the PvE servers as countries that prefer to remain neutral.

So have four PvP servers for the hard core PvP'ers and one PvE server for casual gamers. Hell, have TWENTY PvP servers and one PvE server. I'm betting you'll find the PvE population exceeds that of the PvP population pretty quickly.

The bottom line for me is always... give players a CHOICE. No matter what the lore, no matter what YOU believe personally, give people the option to choose for themselves and you'll have a healthier, happier player base.
    • I've played MMOs for almost 20 years now and TBH when PvPers talk about the 'fun' of open world PvP, they are really talking about rolling with the level-capped, epic-geared friends ganking lowbies who are leveling their gathering skills. Their retort is always "get some friends, make a group, fight back". For those who have been around, this NEVER works. You can't expect random MMO players to orchestrate PvP groups like professional league of legends teams.

I don't necessarily want PvE servers, but there needs to be safe areas or at least significant penalties for ganking lowbies.
    • BlessThisMess wrote:

I've played MMOs for almost 20 years now and TBH when PvPers talk about the 'fun' of open world PvP, they are really talking about rolling with the level-capped, epic-geared friends ganking lowbies who are leveling their gathering skills. Their retort is always "get some friends, make a group, fight back". For those who have been around, this NEVER works. You can't expect random MMO players to orchestrate PvP groups like professional league of legends teams.

I don't necessarily want PvE servers, but there needs to be safe areas or at least significant penalties for ganking lowbies.
      There are towns/camps with level 50 and 60 guards that do a lot of damage to the players in pvp zones. There are actually more safe zones than people think in the game.
    • The game is definitely safe once you hit a safehaven. It isn't like WoW where Guards are a joke. All guards are the same level (60 I think) so they are vastly higher than the player cap. Additionally if you engage with the enemy in town the guards will engage you until you die or run out of their range. So PVP isn't really possible in town outside of a town. Additionally PVP isn't openly flagged until you hit level 15 or something.
    • I'm not sure whether you really understood ....

The savezone, Base of a faction, isn't helpful !

An example: Rebuild server ... El Rano ... South jungle. I try to farm something around the rhinos ... to closed my dailyjob and farm the Rhino boss to get weapon, which I can dismantle. Or need to repair my weapon. But in some cases I have the problem that an asshole of assisin is in hide and wait to kill me when I start the fight with the Rhino boss. I can't jump back to my base to be save. And, the necessary material I don't get inside the base. I have to wait and hope the idiot is away or I try it later. For THIS I want to have the flag to be save. And this is why a lot of people want to have a chance to be save in the complete area to play and enjoy this fantastic game . The argument "This is a PvP game only" isn't correct. To many aspects for PvE which marked the game for both (PvP AND PvE) is given.

Some other people also wrote my opinion:
      The game is really really nice. The graphic is great. It have great dungeons and so on. Therefor I want to play the game.

And Pentrep, please you don't really expect that the people stop to play the game with lvl 15 to prevent PvP or?

My argument about incoming for the game I wrote in an article before.

And go back to the original question about servertypes:
      ONE tpye of server is enough if the possibility "to be save" is implemented. This should easy to do and save a lot of server costs/maintenance. The handling for different server types and work for is high in costs.

And you have a better chance to prevent empty servers I believe.

Best regards

Antyr

The post was edited 3 times, last by Anttyr ().

• Korealer wrote:

BlessThisMess wrote:

I've played MMOs for almost 20 years now and TBH when PvPers talk about the 'fun' of open world PvP, they are really talking about rolling with the level-capped, epic-geared friends ganking lowbies who are leveling their gathering skills. Their retort is always "get some friends, make a group, fight back". For those who have been around, this NEVER works. You can't expect random MMO players to orchestrate PvP groups like professional league of legends teams.

There are towns/camps with level 50 and 60 guards that do a lot of damage to the players in pvp zones. There are actually more safe zones than people think in the game.
      So this just leaves us with the same old problem found in all open world PvP games where we have to hide in town until the griefers leave. Because the second you go to your questing location (like what Anttyr described), they will immediately gank you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no carebear, I love PvP, but it has to be somewhat balanced and fun. Ganking undergeared lowbies while they're questing isn't fun. Camping them for hours on end while they're in 'safe zones' isn't fun either. PvP is only fun when you find like-minded players who want to, and are appropriately geared for PvP., and you rarely find this in the open world.
    • There are 2 channels in bless. not sure if they will do the same for NA, but it was like this in RU as well. Even in the pvp zones, theres 2 channels. Might have to swap a lot, but its more chances to get away from the griefers. Not saying its perfect, but that's whats in the game right now.
    • For me it's all about choices. I'm up for PvP, but certainly not all the time.

After a busy day at work, I like to relax by wandering around. In the weekends when I have more playtime, I don't mind killing other players.

But if we are harassed by grievers going for an easy kill. I am out.

The system from WoW PvE servers worked fine that way.
    • Some great points are made in this thread when it comes to PvE vs PvP servers. I honestly don't think I could add anything the the conversation except say that I agree that the Western Audience has a strong desire to have a choice. Personally, I don't see the harm in having a PvE and PvP designation / rule-set on the servers. It gives the game's targeted demographic a choice without alienating possible customers. . . hence lowering the ultimate potential profit for the game. Hardcore PvPers who think that PvE servers are silly can just ignore them and go slaughter each other to their hearts content while the PvE focused players can enjoy the game on their server.

NOW

The question is: "How is the code for the game written?" And . . . "How long would it take to update the code to allow for PvE servers?" Requirements around flagging on a PvP server would need to be outlined. Could a flagged person kill an unflagged person? Does an unflagged person accidentally hitting (or healing on the same faction) a flagged person in turn flag the unflagged? All may be simple answers to us here on the forums, but we have to remember that it takes time to write code (if it is not already in the system). So would we be willing to wait that extra time to get our game if they could deliver a quality experience for both the PvP AND PvE gamer?

ON THE ROLEPLAYER TOPIC!!!!

*bows* I am an avid roleplayer as well as the Owner/Admin of the unofficial RP website and I can tell you that the PvP server vs PvE server debate is alive and well even withing our own community. I'm sad to see that the "stigma" of the roleplayer automatically being a carebear PvE sunshine and rainbows player still lives. There are many within the community **cough** we are gathering at www.BlessRoleplay.com **cough** who are attracted to Bless simply because of it's PvP elements. In fact, when Aeria Games was the original publisher I asked about the possibility of an RP designated server. They seemed open to it, but I'm not sure if Neowiz is. However, the roleplay community has NOT asked or suggested that the RP designated server also be PvE. Many of us in the Bless Roleplayers Discord would prefer that the open world PvP stay in the game if we get an RP designated server. Bless' story is one of two factions at war. We want to live in that world.

What is typically meant when roleplayers ask for a designated server we are asking simply for one thing. A "- RP" or some sort of visual queue at the end of the server title. A few characters, click of the keyboard that take a few seconds to input into the system. We believe it is important for helping our sub-community (one of the stronger and larger sub-communities in the MMO Gaming world) organize and gather together. Yes, we can often hold unofficial polls to select our own server, but a new player just loading up the game . . . who may not know of our unofficial site and server choice . . . would easily know where the community they are looking for is in the game.

In short. The Non-RP PvPers can have all the other servers. Let us have one RP-PVP server. :thumbsup:
    • Heh, not sure how I should take this. I'm an avid roleplayer as well, but don't really enjoy spontaneous, open world PvP. Does that make me a "carebear"... ? :huh:

In any case, I've always been a supporter of the official RP tag on server names as I strongly believe it helps the community, and especially newcomers, to simply know where to look if they intend to roleplay. However I'm not entirely sure it's the greatest idea to try and split our already very small playerbase. Under other circumstances, I'd say heck, let's make a server for each kind of players, PvP, PvE, RPPvE, RPPvP, etc... but today, simply looking at forums, Steam boards and other places, it unfortunataly appears we aren't a lot to be excited for the game. (Yet... ?)

I am honestly torn here, because I'd definitely love to meet other roleplayers, but I certainly wouldn't want to end up on a dead server. While I'm willing to take a few risks, I still very much intend to play the game "seriously", gear up, find a somewhat competitive guild, explore and clear as much content as possible.
      Please excuse the bad Engrish. I'm still learning !
    • New

I believe that a PVE server is unnecessary and yes it would steal la raison d'être of Bless, because unlike WOW or FFXIV and many other games that were previously mentioned Bless isn't that deep in content.
      It hurts for me to admit it, since i adore and I've been following this game since 2011-2012 but it's the truth.

Have you played the game? this question is for all of you who are asking for a PVE server, just a simple question.
      If you played the game, did you experienced any attack from a group of players from the enemy faction?
      And i understand that even if you didn't played the game or experience group PK, etc...that your concern is that it might happen when released on Steam for NA/EU servers, since there's more jerks in NA and EU servers than the KOR /RUS*servers.

I noticed you all talking about casual players and old people, etc, but i'm a casual player myself, i get home from work (my 2 jobs) and whenever i have time i play a little bit of Bless including on my days off as well.
      When i was playing BLESS back in the beginning of the OB (around January or February 2016), i did experience PK from Union players coming to Hieron and killing me and others during quests around lvl19-22 or something and guess what, it wasn't the end of the world.
      I resurrected, fought them and won, since then i always payed attention to my surroundings, i didn't always won against their surprise attacks but it was fun, me and other Korean players would form a party to be able to finish our quests and kill elite monsters and repel other groups of Union players and thanks to that i was invited to their Korean guild.
      Cirax is another Bless-Source member who was playing with me back then and we would tag team to finish quests and kill Union players, it was the most fun i ever had playing a mmo in a long time.

The reason why i'm sharing this unnecessary story of mine is to try to make you all understand that it's not that bad that you would actually need a PVE server, i believe that there's no PVP junkies in Bless because the combat system isn't that great to begin with.
      And most of the players are always spaming dungeons, then you have the 100vs100 and the other pvp arena, so...there's no need to be afraid the server is already PVEish.

But anyway i hope they give you what you want, a PVE server where the only pvp will be 100vs100 or in the arena. So you can play without anything happening and be happy.
      I don't know if it's going to happen but i honestly hope you guys get it, im saying this because i remember a kid that used to whine so much during the OB Korea server about the assassin class being weak and being killed all the time while doing quests, etc.
      Well not everybody is good or wish to improve their skills at player versus player or environment, i honestly can't understand those type of ppl...weaklings.
      However the reason i'm mentioning the kid is because he saw what most of you are predicting to happen when Bless comes to Steam, most of us back then tried to help him and encourage him but it was in vain, he probably would be happy in a PVE server.

Anyway that's all, HIERON FTW!
    • New

Hmmm ... also an unneccessary story from me now and I agree in many terms of you.

I played 5 months in RU and has to chars up to lvl 50. Since August/September I play onto the Rebuilt server. Yes, I play the game End3r. And , also, I have a job where worked up to 10 - 12 hours .. starting in the morning at 4:30 AM.

Why I want to play BLESS (also my wife and friends):
      We searched a new game because the quality of the game we played in the past (RIFT) was/is more and more down <X . We found BLESS and like/love it :D . It is so pleasant, the graphics,the sound, the dungeons ... all in the game. Therefor a lot of us want to play it. Someone also with openPvP ... but the most (80%) in PvE mode.

Korealer? wrote .. play an another game which is designed for PvE only. Honestly, in 95% of all MMO's I know the have a possibiltiy for both (PvE and PvP) also BLESS. Fact is, that the most people like it to play more PvE and from time to time PvP in a instance area (as others wrote in some articels before).

Well, for someone it is relaxing to kill people in the game after work/sport whatever. Not for me and also many others. I like the run into dungeons and raids. Solve quest, mill around to gather material for crafting. Tame a lot of pets, mounts. Logged in in Discord/TS with friends to lough, discuss .. create strategies for the next raid or dungeon. And also go into siege together.

And be sure, you have a lot of more population if you support PvE. PvE players also bring incoming which is necessary to continue the developing of the game. For myself I always pay for a good game (e.q. I pay up to 2000$ (premium acc and some stuff for me and my wife) in 6 years for RIFT) . Also in other games like TESO (only me wife. TESO is horrorable fo me :S ) and ROM etc.. (not in parallel. I'm concentrate to one game). And I know a lot of other players with the same engagement.

Can NEOWIZ really disclaim incoming from a lot of PvE's? It helps also the PvP faction to continue the game.

What I want to say is ... BLESS have potential for both kind of players. Why we can't life in parallel? The only thing what I want to have is a possibilty to say "Please, Don't bother me !" and flag me to suppress PvP for my char. You can kill me in Castro Siege if you want ;) . And also in openPVP when I'm not flagged :whistling: !

I hope this help for a better understanding of my own opinion about a "to be save"-possibiltiy :)

AND : UNION FOREVER :D !

Best regards

Antyr

P.s: About your question if we attacked from enemies in the game? Yes we are attacked.
      We (Tank and myself) was in the front of the lvl 43 El Rano dungeons and wait for the rest of the group to go into the dungeon. Suddenly a group of enemies come to join also the dungeon ... the first what they did .. kill us. Not realy nice X( .

The post was edited 14 times, last by Anttyr ().