Crafting, Crafting, Crafting

• Crafting, Crafting, Crafting

For many MMORPGers, crafting can make or break a game. We'll keep this thread updated with any crafting related information we can find. As it will probably be a few months before we get much information:
      1. What MMO offered your favorite crafting?
      2. What did you like most about that game's crafting system?
      3. What would you absolutely NOT like to see in a crafting system?

What We Know Thus Far

Questions Still Unanswered
    • I liked the rift crafting system, really easy, and didn't break the game by providing either worthless our overpowered gear

I like the warcraft gathering system as it is simple and provides additional rewards, like XP, as well as motes of harmony to buy recipes or additional materials
      Ahri so cute
    • I have not really had any crafting systems I liked. But I guess WoW was my favorite because at lest at high levels it was useful. Other then that I just want crafting system to either.

A. Help with leveling and give novelty items.
      or
      B. Make good gear that will help people get into the raid scene faster at end game.
      or
      C. Combination of both

I just don't want to make 50 Copper Bracers to level up my BlackSmithing or what ever prof I go.
      I believe that stories are written and read to rebel the fact that you only live once
    • Hands down the best crafting system I have ever experienced was in Lineage 2.

It was difficult to do, it required an insane amount of materials and only the Dwarf race could do it.

Higher level crafting became more and more difficult and dangerous because you could potentially fail the attempt to craft the item. (Having a chance to fail is added excitement to crafting that you just don't get in a game like WOW)

All items in that game could be recycled into new items instead of forcing the player to sell a GAZILLION leather chin straps on the auction house or waste the materials by selling it to an NPC vendor.

Now I think I need to start a new thread ... "Should the best weapons and armor be the result of crafting, questing or Raid Bosses?"
      It was a grind intensive system that made for really good stories about the time you spent collecting the materials for your craft and that appealed to me greatly.

Lastly, because only a single race / class was able to craft alleviated the need for the PVP type classes to have to craft at all and encouraged a wider variety of parties.
      This system was by no means perfect .. Lineage 2 died horribly due to bots, gold selling and eventually Free to Play WOWification.

But for the masochistic grinder who wanted to feel like the items he or she created had real value ... there was nothing better.
      This Space for Rent
    • Every craft should be able to make necessary consumables that only crafters can make. Whether they are pots, repair kits, enchantments or whatever. There will always be conflicts as to where BiS items should come from, whether from PvP, raids, or crafting, but in the end, no one likes to level a craft only to find that it was a complete waste of time. With consumables, there will always be some residual utility.
    • I didn't mind the Crafting in Tera (original version) Also do like Final Fantasy 14: Reborn

as long as its not too demanding and makes sense crafting wise. I'll be fine with it..
      Never trust a Game Master with a big smile.
      truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn- Nethack
      :love:
    • Organic wrote:

For many MMORPGers, crafting can make or break a game. We'll keep this thread updated with any crafting related information we can find. As it will probably be a few months before we get much information:
      My favorite Crafting system was in SWG, the first couple years anyways. It was a time sink, but worth it to those who had taken the time. It also allowed a player's to feel more like a citizen of the game and not a just some combatant of it. I could gather mats, make items and then sell the items to the games player base. If you invest the time you could have great item's, in return your shop would flourish.

I don't much care for crafting the takes the player away from doing the work of gathering & crafting themselves. Even though, a lot of people like the ability to fight while someone or something levels up there crafting.
    • Well, I strongly believe Bless needs to follow ESO's approach to crafting. Cause their focus seems to be on player exploration and lore. With that being said, I believe a player should be somewhat "forced" to go and explore the world for their advancement of their chosen profession. ESO's approach was, there is no "recipe" in game for crafting. However, while there aren't any recipes in the game, players have multiple avenues to combine ingredients and make the same item. I think this is the best way for such an open world such as Bless, which player exploration seems to be somewhat a focused characteristic.

As for the question of whether "BiS" items should come from crafting, I strongly disagree with the notion. Having "BiS" items come from crafting could cause a massive flood of "BiS" items in the player market. Unless, they decide to put some sort of "limit or consequence".
    • Best systems I've come across are the ones where you can't just go AFK craft; such as EQ2 and better yet, Vanguard. Vanguard's system actually got the better of me patience wise a couple of times but once I understood the cues better it was immense fun... well as fun as crafting systems can afford to be tbh. Horizons had an interesting one; you had to haul immense amounts of resources sometimes. For this you would need a cargo disk. Then when you got to make the items some of them required many more combines and stages than others, such as those seen in the alchemy or tinkering craft. This made crafting a huge undertaking in itself, distinct from other aspects, which is something that I could approve of. Something I also remember from that game was what you could do with crafted spells; you could adorn them as you liked and give them unique qualities like increased range or a chance to proc damage of another element or a weakening effect.
    • What MMO offered your favorite crafting? RIFT or GW2
      What did you like most about that game's crafting system? Simple and straightforward in RIFT. GW2 was/is a steep learning curve but over time it became easier.
      What would you absolutely NOT like to see in a crafting system? Faction or reputation based protocols. RNG enchanting of gear and weapons like RaiderZ
    • Organic wrote:

What We Know Thus Far

Questions Still Unanswered

1. Definetly tESO (in the beginning)
      2. Easy gathering of materials during low lvls, afterwards interesting combinations
      3. Rare mats that you buy rather than work for them (eg boss fights etc)
    Peria Chronicles