Bless Interview: Class Roles, Dungeons, PvP And More

• Bless Interview: Class Roles, Dungeons, PvP And More

I found an interview with Jae Kap (producer of Bless) and wanted to share it with you guys.

Source: 2p.com/4442101_1/Exclusive-Ble…And-More-by-Blake-Lau.htm
      Q: The graphics of new Korean MMOs can often amaze players but their gameplay usually fail to live up to gamers' expectation. In addition to top notch graphics, what does Bless have to offer in terms of gameplay?
      A: MMOs with traditional content can barely survive in today's market. Take dungeon as an example, there are 5-man dungeons, 3-man and solo dungeons. Players complete the dungeon and make guides for other players and then the dungeon is not challenging anymore. We study players' needs and reduce the repetitive content in Bless. We are also working on a wide variety of gameplay content to cover players of different styles.

Q: You worked on big projects like Legend of Mir and Lineage before, and how will such experience affect the development of Bless?
      A: I watched Lineage grew to the one of the most successful MMOs at that time, and I worked on Lineage 2. What I learned is player interaction really matters. The interaction includes cooperation, competition, betrayal and many other relationships. In Bless, the concept of player interaction lies in the conflicts within the same nation, in addition to the traditional nation vs. nation warfare. Specifically, we want all players to campaign for the throne of the nation.

Q: From the information released on Bless official site, there is no healing class (the 4 classes are Guardian, Berserker, Paladin and Ranger). Does that mean the game desert the "holy trinity"?
      A: The game's combat is still based on DPS-tank-healer pattern. However, each class is capable of playing different styles in the combat to deal with certain situation, and an example is when the Guardian wants to solo a dungeon, he may go with the "Charge" style, which makes him an DPS, but when he's in a group he may need to protect the allies so "Protection" style is a good choice. A character at max level has at least 3 different combat styles.

Q: How flexible will the class combination in dungeons be? Can 4 Archers together complete a dungeon smoothly?
      A: We do encourage players to try different combinations and want to see some extreme attempts. We will explore more possibilities based on the DPS+tank+healer model.

Q: Today MMOs that are based on grinding and repetition gameplay can't no longer last long, what is Bless going to do to strip away grinding?
      A: Bless' PvE content utilizes "difficulty balance", and the combat is more than just killing a specific target. The game rewards players differently by recognising the most powerful players, the best team players and so on. Besides, player behaviors will change the world.

Q: How does the dungeon content look like?
      A: Dungeon is where players can learn the game's lore. Completing a dungeon unlocks related regional quests and stories. Dungeons aren't designed to be the game's endgame content but a channel to let players experience the enormous world of Bless. On the other hand, we make dungeons interactive and diversified. Gear isn't the only rewards you can expect to acquire. What's more, we are planning to add team race mode to dungeons.

Q: What can you tell us about the siege weapons in massive PvP?
      A: Siege weapons in this game are mostly inspired by medieval weapons. You can also see magical weapons. Common siege weapons like battering ram and ballistics will be in the game, and they are built by numbers of players together.

Q: For PvP players, what PvP content and rewards can they expect in Bless?
      A: There are 3 types of PvP content: open world PvP, instanced PvP and siege war. We are still discussing the reward system that may include reputation, skills and personalization rewards.

Q: You released a series of world fly-through videos before, but can you tell us exactly how large the world is?
      A: We created a nearly 177 square kilometers of open world for Bless, which is larger than WoW’s main world Azeroth. Different areas are seamlessly connected, with capitals and metropolises serving as social centers.

Q: What can players do in their exploration? Can you share with us some examples?
      A: Bless’ lore includes a lot of legends, and discovering the truth of these legends will be part of the exploration. You can do mining and you can gather herbs and crafting materials. You can also collect illustrations, catalogues, riddles and relic items. We will implement content feeding system to provide players the content they want based on their characters and playing style.

Q: Player created content has become a very popular concept for the modern MMOs. Is Bless going to allow players to design and build their own content?
      A: High freedom means lots of possibilities, just like Minecraft. However, Bless takes a different approach, and our goal is design for players interesting content, so in Bless, freedom is not our primary focus. Bless is a seamless gaming world and technically we can allow players to build and create and change the world, but we just don’t think freedom necessarily makes good games.
    • Interesting. They say 'MMOs with traditional content can barely survive in today's market.' yet many would argue that the combat system they use right now IS traditional. Wonder if they plan on further making it stray from that, or if content* specifically refers to endgame and progression as a player levels.
    • There is always end game path after path but lets take for example Lineage 2 c1 till present chronicle how it evoluated and that's how it's gonna be with Bless i'm more than sure about that :) Finally some decent game for pvpers i would say because of open world pvp. WTf was that guy's question about freedom in game? You want freedom you are playing single player games not competitive like mmorpg :)
    • Kaso wrote:

There is always end game path after path but lets take for example Lineage 2 c1 till present chronicle how it evoluated and that's how it's gonna be with Bless i'm more than sure about that :) Finally some decent game for pvpers i would say because of open world pvp. WTf was that guy's question about freedom in game? You want freedom you are playing single player games not competitive like mmorpg :)

Well, not always. Take a look at Tera - an excellent graphics and amazing combat system, but absolutely no end-game. People reach lvl 60, get equipped, fool around a bit more and quit.

I really hope Bless to contain something similar to the L2 castle sieges and hopefully more. Looking forward to lay my hands on it :)
    Peria Chronicles