Should Mage be renamed into Elementalist?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I'm torn. If the mystic was not structured the way it was I would most likely say yes. But being that the mage is fire, ice, and lightning with the mystic is earth, water and nature things seem fine the way they are. Elementalist, to me, would have control of at least the 4 major elements (earth, fire, water, air). The mage isn't a true master of the elements, in my mind. Hence not an elementalist
    • I agree with Nev
      and even lore-wise the Mage is not a true elementalist they are not in tune with nature and the elements in their own right, they study the arcane arts to master this craft
      where as Mystics are in tune with nature and the elements (that are not inharently destructive) so they are more so connected with the raw elements
      (even then, i would never call the mystic an elementalist)

plus again the mage doesn't control all the basic elements so therefore it's not a good name... plus they have a ton of skills in their arsenal that are not simply element based
    • This is superficial.

If you look up to the term of the word "mage" you'll probably find something like this: "An individual with mystical power that can bend nature to his will". Elements are a part of nature, so that's pretty much it.

Of course if there was an another magical class that uses pure magic i'd consider your idea...but for now, it's not necessary.

Bask within the guidance of the great Palutena!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Palutena ().

• Neviana wrote:

Calling it shallow I think is a little harsh. I see where the Fiddu was coming from. But, the mage as it stands in Bless just doesn't fit the Elementalist title.
      I'm sorry, i just translated "superficial" from my native language and i didn't think it was used as a dispregiative.

I'll be more careful now...i'll change my post.

Bask within the guidance of the great Palutena!
    • If you want a name more closely associated with this specific class "Thermaturge", "Thermal mage". The FF Thaumaturge seems quite energy/hot/cold based, but Thauma just means "miracle" or "wonder" so I spelled it "Thermaturge". Elementalist is a little misleading since the class lacks the earth element. Mage, as it is, is fine since it's a mix of a cryomancer, a pyromancer, and an electromancer."
    • I voted yes, but let me stick my two cents in, if I may. I personally have always been a huge fan of unique names. Just like the post above suggests, Thaumaturge is a unique name, and when you read that word you are most likely to think "Ah, it's from FFXIV!". You hear the word "Darkrunner" and you probably think, "Archeage!", but you hear "Mage" and... it's nothing special or specific. It's just so common. I mean no offense to people who do like the name Mage, it's all about preference, and I also understand why they would use "cookie-cutter" names so to speak from a business perspective.
      But let's take Archeage for example, since they had so darn many classes they got very creative with some names: Arcanist, Enchantrix, Hierophant, Stormcaller, Spellsinger, even Shaman are all pretty unique names for a caster and when you look at them it's fairly easy to identify that those are probably spellcaster/magic classes.
      But, you know... that's just me :/
    Peria Chronicles