You are not logged in.

Denizen

Beginner

• "Denizen" started this thread

Level: 10 [?]

Experience: 1,139

Next Level: 1,454

Wednesday, January 16th 2013, 2:47pm

Should the best weapons and armor be the result of crafting, questing or Raid Bosses?

My personal feelings are that questing, raid bosses and plain old mob drops should supply the materials for crafting the best weapons and armor in the game.

Discuss :)
This Space for Rent

Drowsie

Captain of the Guard

Level: 14 [?]

Experience: 5,114

Next Level: 5,517

Wednesday, January 16th 2013, 8:58pm

Raid bosses should probably give the best gear but only by a little. Crafting and questing depends on how difficult the quest or recipe to get is. They should all either be equally difficult and give equal benefits. All in all the think the more difficult the task the better the reward should be. So everything thing should equal out some where.
I believe that stories are written and read to rebel the fact that you only live once

Organic

Bless-Online Team

Level: 20 [?]

Experience: 28,556

Next Level: 29,658

Wednesday, January 16th 2013, 10:49pm

RIFT did a great job of making what you craft while you level actually worth something. In their recent expansion, they even allowed most crafts to have a "Best in Slot" item (equal to/better than raid gear). That made almost every craft worthwhile just for that slot. (Alchemy and such is worthwhile due to potion/buffs consumption.)

I think each craft, depending on how many they are, should at least offer a BiS item up to getting you ready for raids, if not something equal to a raid drop. At least that way you're guaranteed one fantastic item no matter which craft you make. Otherwise, the only crafts that tend to be worth anything are those that make bags and consumables as what you can make is "worthless" for endgame.

Ashai

Bless Online

Level: 17 [?]

Experience: 11,026

Next Level: 13,278

Thursday, January 17th 2013, 9:50am

basic and fair.

Crafting should be decent, should always be worthwhile not a big super money sink that someone spends all of his/her time on it just to find that Tommy Su killed 1 BAM or boss and got some peice of gear that is just the same thing as they just spent all the mats too make.

So equally I think as Organic just said. Crafting should be something important to make/craft gear that one can wear going into raids as starter gears that are just as great but not what would over rule boss/raid drops. They should be equal if not a bit better then the gears you would be wearing to go in to the next level dungeon or take part of a huge scale raid, ect.

Also it would be fair hunting Boss Monsters and Big Ass Monsters, or World Bosses that they also drop crafting materials for nicer gears that are one step higher that could be slightly under a harder world boss/end game boss.

But the whole crafting system has to be not ass in the first place to make it worth while to say should gears crafted be better then whats dropped or vise versa. For me I'm all for what Organic said or what I've said below. Or making it equal for a player to choose.

A) Should I have Tim craft me a full Tier 13 set (using TERA lol) with all the stuff you need from Hardmodes crafting material wise or from AH (depends on your time as a player).

or

B) should I get Tier 13 gears from Nexus, by doing it a few times (once again Tera example) just good enough to upgrade and get into the duns that will drop you T14 goodies.

But once again, this is all dependent on The Crafting system itself...

Never trust a Game Master with a big smile.
truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn- Nethack
Guild Leader of Wicked // Guild Site :: www.wickedonline.net

Level: 13 [?]

Experience: 3,143

Next Level: 4,033

Saturday, January 19th 2013, 11:21pm

basic and fair.

Crafting should be decent, should always be worthwhile not a big super money sink that someone spends all of his/her time on it just to find that Tommy Su killed 1 BAM or boss and got some peice of gear that is just the same thing as they just spent all the mats too make.

So equally I think as Organic just said. Crafting should be something important to make/craft gear that one can wear going into raids as starter gears that are just as great but not what would over rule boss/raid drops. They should be equal if not a bit better then the gears you would be wearing to go in to the next level dungeon or take part of a huge scale raid, ect.

Also it would be fair hunting Boss Monsters and Big Ass Monsters, or World Bosses that they also drop crafting materials for nicer gears that are one step higher that could be slightly under a harder world boss/end game boss.

But the whole crafting system has to be not ass in the first place to make it worth while to say should gears crafted be better then whats dropped or vise versa. For me I'm all for what Organic said or what I've said below. Or making it equal for a player to choose.

A) Should I have Tim craft me a full Tier 13 set (using TERA lol) with all the stuff you need from Hardmodes crafting material wise or from AH (depends on your time as a player).

or

B) should I get Tier 13 gears from Nexus, by doing it a few times (once again Tera example) just good enough to upgrade and get into the duns that will drop you T14 goodies.

But once again, this is all dependent on The Crafting system itself...
This is basically what I was going to say. I like this idea a lot. Thank you for saving me from having to type so much, Ashai! :p
"Grammar is important. Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse & helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Ashai

Bless Online

Sunday, January 20th 2013, 10:40pm

np :DI am the master of the "long dreaded Posts" haha

Grom

Beginner

Experience: 4,797

Monday, January 21st 2013, 3:02pm

I would like to see something like Legendary weapon, which will drop from one of the Final Bosses and only once a month or so.. So there will be one unique UBER weapon for each class, which lasts only limited period of time. This way you can have the real unique feeling and chance to lead in sieges ..
Get Rich or Die Tryin'

Nasuuna

VP of Trolling

Level: 16 [?]

Experience: 8,853

Next Level: 10,000

Tuesday, January 22nd 2013, 1:47am

As a non-crafter, I must say that forcing somebody to craft to obtain gear is just a terrible idea, but at the same time it should be a way to be able to competitively gear at the same rate as a raider. The big issue with crafting for raid quality gear is that one must either raid to get materials, heavily relie on RNG to get the mats, or buy them(which gives gold farmers a huge advantage).
Judge not, by the color of ones gear, but of the efficiency in which he uses it

Ashai

Bless Online

Wednesday, January 23rd 2013, 1:24am

Oh I understand on the forcing part. But I'm more in the sense of what I said above. Crafting as it as always optional. But if people do it (spend the time on it) They should be rewarded. For the money grind/crafting just as someone who would grind world bosses/raids/duns to get gear just as good. So it should be equal in a sense. But not in a way that crys "ok to get the best gear you are FORCED to craft" :).

Grom

Beginner

Experience: 4,797

Wednesday, January 23rd 2013, 8:01am

Crafting should be ofcourse a way for occasional players to get a decent equip,without a need to spend whole day farming mobs around the town.
More than be able to craft Legedary weps, It could be handy if Master crafter can add some additional stats for weapons,jewellery etc..-sort of enchanting skill.

But at the same time I would like to see craft skills/levels to be way much more harder to achive. So player will have to focus on that instead of farming mobs he will craft weapons. Maybe I can call it as additional class.
We have guardian,berserk,mage,ranger all of them are masters at each class with specific skills,so why blacksmith cannot be a special class?
Get Rich or Die Tryin'

Msterope

Beginner

Level: 8 [?]

Experience: 463

Next Level: 674

Tuesday, July 23rd 2013, 4:35am

I have to agree with Organic on the RIFT crafting system; both of my characters on Rift do an armor specialized crafting role for their class (Cleric - Armorsmith; Mage - Outfitter). I do understand that there was a lot of people don't want to go out of their way to gather materials/grind for recipes/etc when it comes to crafting, but if there are drops off of mobs, you could be getting the materials you need to craft without really doing much expect running your regular quests anyway.
I personally love crafting. Every now and again I need a break or a day to just do something other than go out and grind through quests. That's why I take a crafting ability on any of my characters when I'm playing a game. I will literally just spend a day mindlessly running around gathering and leveling my crafting so that I can make better stuff. Not everyone enjoys this, but if you have the materials, why not give them to someone who can craft and ask them to make something for you? There are rewards for crafing as well as questing.
I will say though, I don't exactly agree with crafting having the exact on-par rewards as doing something like raiding. Having raided in WoW (although it wasn't always difficult) and doing raiding on other games, there are A LOT of people who put a great deal of time and effort into making themselves fully ready for such things and deserve the higher end rewards. While they don't necessarily need to be light-years ahead of crafting gear, people who put their efforts into raiding should get slightly better rewards. I mean really... you can go out and farm crafting mats almost anywhere (except the things found in raids), so why should you be rewarded if you don't want to put the effort in? To counter-point that (yes this is long, but I'm putting my full two cents in this discussion because I currently am uber excited for Bless) there are people who can't completely delegate their time for raiding, but raid-crafted gear could potentially (if it is tradeable) be acquired for the right price.

And lastly... I will vehemently say NO to Grom's point of a limited-time Legendary weapon. What would be the point? If it is only limited time there are really very few people who would want to wait and grind to wait for a one-time a month event that drops a limited time weapon. If you want a legendary type weapon, work for it. I will not see a game that looks as good as Bless fall to the same level as WoW where Blizzard just handed Epic and Legendary-level gear to people who didn't want to work for it. Its a ridiculous concept (yes this will create controversy but honestly its true) and its insulting to people who actually put a great deal of effort into playing a game to get the good rewards.
You want something, work for it. In case you haven't noticed, unless you were born with a silver spoon shoved in your mouth, you have to work for everything in real life. Not that we need to make all games exactly like real life (how boring would that be) but rewarding people for time and effort shouldn't be tossed aside.
Go over, go under, go around or go through; but never give up.

Kaitto

Beginner

Level: 4 [?]

Experience: 92

Next Level: 100

Wednesday, July 24th 2013, 2:27am

I never played RIFT but it does sound like a good crafting system. My two cents on the subject, I think if there is going to be crafting for armor and weapons then there shouldn't be any of those drops off of mobs. Only world bosses, raid bosses and other such big baddies should drop those items. It completely defeats the purpose of crafting when you keep picking up items better than what you can craft. You might as well just take armor and weapon crafting out. I've played way too many games where crafting gear was completely useless.

Tera did a decent job at it, but it took a lot of work to get the materials for your gear. It took even more work just to get your crafting level up. That didn't bother me so much because I prefer hardcore games to casual games. The only time though crafting was useful in Tera was end-game. Crafting should be useful through-out all levels.

You should either craft it, or buy it from a player or NPC. Obviously NPC gear would not be as good as the crafted gear. And since gear will be heavily dependent on crafting, the mediocre gear would be easy to get the materials for and as the gear gets better the more complicated it gets to get the materials. For example, common gear to craft will be easy to obtain materials for. As for rare gear, it becomes more complicated.

Back to the matter of bosses dropping gear. I would rather they not drop any kind of gear, but I'm sure people will not be happy with that. They like that instant gratification when defeating a boss. I feel they should drop rare materials you need in order to craft the best gear.

This I think should be the general basics for gear crafting.

I'm new by the way, just joined today. Hello all :D.

Rate this thread
Legal Notice l Impressum