Melee combat thoughts ?

• I want to start off with saying that Bless has huge potential,and the new combat revamp is looking pretty good. Combat is what really caught my eye, it appears to be different from other mmorpg-s. Combat looks really solid after the revamp. But I was wondering, Bless appears to be like any other mmo out there right ? What makes Bless different for me, I feel, is combat. I have played many mmo-s, and pretty much all of them are dependent on gear, that's reasonable, they are mmo-s after all. But after seeing the stance system, even though I don't fully understand it yet, it looks like it could ACTUALLY bring real SKILL into the mmo world. Will stances be able to even the ground between high gear-low skill and mid gear-high skill players ? Am I misunderstanding the whole combat of Bless, is it only gear oriented, keyboard mashing madness ?

I would really love to see the combat require more skill, knowledge, and deliver satisfaction of beating your opponent with your skill 8) not solely your gear.

• I'm curious about the combat as well... I don't really know too much about it at all

Stances, as I know them, have been pretty fun to me- keeps me busy in pve/pvp, since I like to use everything given to me (skill wise) However, I am hoping the combat isn't snails-pace slow and locked in place at the same time, I just couldn't stand it then...

• The Combat System, as I've seen it, (others may correct me in areas I may be wrong - or where the Re-Work changes things) basically will go as follows:

Gear will still make a large portion of your Character. (it may not be as much as other MMO's, but still a decent sized-portion.) Tab-Targeting will eliminate a HUGE amount of Player Skill needed. From what I've seen of the Combat Re-Work, everyone will basically just Key-Spam a specific Combination of Buttons to do their Attack Chains. Learning your Combat Chains may take some time though, because as you gain Skills, you have to learn how to incorporate them into the Chain (and there 'may' be a UI that pops up that tells you what Buttons to hit & when to keep the Chain going, from what it appeared like).

Stances will primarily be:

Defensive Stance - DPS Stance - Survivability Stance - Healing Stance - Buffing Stance - etc.

(of course, all Class / Character / Player Dependent.)

So to put it out there as bluntly as I can: I hope you get what you're looking for within Bless, but in this instance, I don't think you will unfortunately.

Please, correct me where I may be wrong people & thanks, if you do.

• I want to start off with saying that Bless has huge potential,and the new combat revamp is looking pretty good. Combat is what really caught my eye, it appears to be different from other mmorpg-s. Combat looks really solid after the revamp. But I was wondering, Bless appears to be like any other mmo out there right ? What makes Bless different for me, I feel, is combat. I have played many mmo-s, and pretty much all of them are dependent on gear, that's reasonable, they are mmo-s after all. But after seeing the stance system, even though I don't fully understand it yet, it looks like it could ACTUALLY bring real SKILL into the mmo world. Will stances be able to even the ground between high gear-low skill and mid gear-high skill players ? Am I misunderstanding the whole combat of Bless, is it only gear oriented, keyboard mashing madness ?

I would really love to see the combat require more skill, knowledge, and deliver satisfaction of beating your opponent with your skill 8) not solely your gear.

I'm glad that your satisfied with where combat is going. But understand that it's a work in progress and subject to change. However that's a good thing since hopefully people will be able to chime in with feedback with regards to combat and hopefully Neowiz will change it accordingly.

• Thanks for the replies :thumbup:
    I know that gear will mean a lot in combat, that kind off defines mmorpg at this point. As SLiver said, it seems like players will be able to chain attacks and create combos, so I though that players with lower gear will be able to outdo player with better gear, granted that the player with lower gear is much better at the game skill wise.

Pentrep, I do understand that it's work in progress, but I am really interested in combat. I really think that adding element of skill into the game will make both PvP and PvE much more enjoyable. Being able to counter and block some of opponents attacks, hitting them with some cool combo, that would be fun. IMO mmorpg-s should focus more on improving combat. Many MMOs focus on flashy graphics, customization, in-game items, but improving combat would really make huge difference between Bless, and other MMOs. Bless has big world, solid graphics, nice effects, customization, so I think that what would help Bless gain edge over others could be combat ( It caught my eye, among dozens of mmos ). Doesn't need much change, from what I've seen from Combat Re-work, combat already takes a bit more skill and thinking. It is a subject to change, and as such I really hope that the change will make PvP and PvE much more fun.

• you have to take into account the fact that all stances/chains, etc will be able to be modified. I hope that will be true because that could lead to unique characters even the same gear.

https://www.twitch.tv/superelitez

[RO] <Azgeda> guild
    https://discord.gg/vGzQ9k5 

• Thanks for the replies :thumbup:
    I know that gear will mean a lot in combat, that kind off defines mmorpg at this point. As SLiver said, it seems like players will be able to chain attacks and create combos, so I though that players with lower gear will be able to outdo player with better gear, granted that the player with lower gear is much better at the game skill wise.

Pentrep, I do understand that it's work in progress, but I am really interested in combat. I really think that adding element of skill into the game will make both PvP and PvE much more enjoyable. Being able to counter and block some of opponents attacks, hitting them with some cool combo, that would be fun. IMO mmorpg-s should focus more on improving combat. Many MMOs focus on flashy graphics, customization, in-game items, but improving combat would really make huge difference between Bless, and other MMOs. Bless has big world, solid graphics, nice effects, customization, so I think that what would help Bless gain edge over others could be combat ( It caught my eye, among dozens of mmos ). Doesn't need much change, from what I've seen from Combat Re-work, combat already takes a bit more skill and thinking. It is a subject to change, and as such I really hope that the change will make PvP and PvE much more fun.

That's good because I am too. Combat was originally what drew me to BNS and I'm hoping that Bless can develop a system as unique and in depth as that. So here's to hoping that they come out with something original and deep!

• Elite that would really be cool. Everyone can create their own style. But I guess that is still the same system as in WoW ? Choosing masteries and talents...
    Pentrep Glad to have people thinking the same ^^. I really am hoping too, that they will create combat that won't be like every other mmo. A combat where your skill will really make big difference. Neowiz certainly has potential to create something really fun, original and deep.

• Elite that would really be cool. Everyone can create their own style. But I guess that is still the same system as in WoW ? Choosing masteries and talents...
    Pentrep Glad to have people thinking the same ^^. I really am hoping too, that they will create combat that won't be like every other mmo. A combat where your skill will really make big difference. Neowiz certainly has potential to create something really fun, original and deep.

Even in games that express a unique since a development, there is always a suggested build and layout for any given class. For those who want to mix/max then experimenting beyond this build is an option. But ultimately it all boils down to having core important skills and building from there.

• Watch this. I am 39 and my friend is 40. We were jumped by 41 mage and 45 ranger. We had -30% hp due to death and no buffs. I had less skills than them also. I already love the pvp in bless.

Its part gear set / runes / item lvl and 90% skill :)

https://clips.twitch.tv/CrispyLovelyBubbleteaYee

and here vs 45 ranger / 43 guardian.

https://clips.twitch.tv/WiseBusyLouseVoteNay

https://www.twitch.tv/superelitez

[RO] <Azgeda> guild
    https://discord.gg/vGzQ9k5 

• Take into consideration that LVL counts a lot in this game...

I remember missing a lot of skills on people around 4 levels higher than me... Stuns didnt work, silence, miss hit, low dmg etc...

So if you are asking about same level combat than your answer will most probably be YES, it is skill based, (It was already before the revamp anyway).

But if you are asking about people with different levels, than NO, a lvl 30 char against a lvl 40 will die 99% of time... Doesn't matter if the lvl 40 just press F1, And lvl 30 knows all their combos and stances very well...

• Take into consideration that LVL counts a lot in this game...

I remember missing a lot of skills on people around 4 levels higher than me... Stuns didnt work, silence, miss hit, low dmg etc...

So if you are asking about same level combat than your answer will most probably be YES, it is skill based, (It was already before the revamp anyway).

But if you are asking about people with different levels, than NO, a lvl 30 char against a lvl 40 will die 99% of time... Doesn't matter if the lvl 40 just press F1, And lvl 30 knows all their combos and stances very well...

Of course level difference has to play into it, progression is a big part of every MMO an this game is no different. Don't forget that PvP players often look for any advantage they can get and level is probably the easiest recognizable advantage in any game.

• I personally thought the combat was a little slow at least compared to what I'm used to and coming from Black Desert, however the impact of the hits was very satisfying from what I saw tonight.

• Yes, the game mechanics will be very interesting if we take long range classes in effect. It would just make the game much more enjoyable.

• I personally thought the combat was a little slow at least compared to what I'm used to and coming from Black Desert, however the impact of the hits was very satisfying from what I saw tonight.

I would be surprised if they could actually pull off wholly "action" combat. The combat was at one point even slower than it is now. So at least they are improving it.