Why do Assassins wear platemail in this game...?

• Why do Assassins wear platemail in this game...?

I think this is the only MMO I've ever played where the Assassin class wasn't restricted to light gear. As I've been progressing, I've noticed a trend. The higher the level, the heavier the gear for Assassins, lol. I have now reached a point where I'm wearing a plate helm and greaves, but I began to wonder why. I mean, the stats are certainly better than the lighter armor (especially when the defense alone is like +23 vs +70-100). It just makes me wonder why they even bother giving you the option for lighter gear if the heavier gear protects you better (it just costs shards instead of paper with the material).

So, have I missed something completely obvious here (such as beneficial evasion gear) or is this really the way to go with my equipment? I'm thinking at this rate, I probably would have been better off as a Paladin, lol. Walking around in platemail with daggers really doesn't seem appropriate :p
    • You gain pretty important armor effects wearing the proper armor type for your class.

From Nito's translation:

Tenacity

Wearing Light Armor/Leather Armor increases the chance of avoiding attacks in proportion to the number of Light Armor/Leather Armor worn.

If you wear a complete Light Armor/Leather Armor set, attack power and critical hit rate is increased. Magicial damage is reduced.

This is for assassins
    • Cirax wrote:

You gain pretty important armor effects wearing the proper armor type for your class.

From Nito's translation:

Tenacity

Wearing Light Armor/Leather Armor increases the chance of avoiding attacks in proportion to the number of Light Armor/Leather Armor worn.

If you wear a complete Light Armor/Leather Armor set, attack power and critical hit rate is increased. Magicial damage is reduced.

This is for assassins

Attack power and crit rate is increased? That's great. Now how am I supposed to deal with the lack of defense? I can have my attack power and crit rate through the roof, but it won't mean shit if I drop too fast to even make use of it.

That's why it's kind of dumb when they're like "Okay, here's your reward choice. Do you want a piece of gear that gives -4 defense and +15 evasion or something that gives +28 defense and -4 evasion?" What the hell do you think I'm going to choose? Higher defense = higher survivability. I get that assassins are supposed to be squishy, but considering the lighter gear doesn't justify my loss of defense from the heavier gear, it's difficult for me to choose the light one. Hell, there was one point where I found a heavier piece of body equipment and it immediately increased my defense by +124 or so.

Later on, I was looking through the gear I could craft at around the same level as this gear and all of the lighter gear wanted me to take at least a -40 point loss in defense just for the other stats. That's just bullshit. If they wanted us to have this bonus for light gear or whatever, then they should have made that as the only available equipment we could craft as an assassin.
    • well to be honest I think the assassin isn't the damage mitigation type of playstyle. Very few assassin actually do that.

The common procedure is:

Stealth - Stun - Damage - if target resists or does damage - defensive skill (shift) and stealth again. And so on....

About the armory - I could say the same from a Paladin/Cleric perspective.

Cleric needs Wisdom and Intelligence while Paladin needs Strength and Wisdom plus Stamina.

The thing if you look at the game and at the Customization Window you can change the properties and the effects. My hope is that you can change the Equipment Stats towards certain roles.

For example you want to have incredible high block rate and want to skip on the defense and get rid of some defensive points and spend them on Strength for Block Rate or whatever.

Or maybe get rid of 1 stat and apply another stat like get rid of Strength and Add Intelligence or so.

Of course this would result in a balance catastrophe so not sure. But I just hope they somehow give us some freedom in this case.

About the special effects - I think that will be the same system as Aion had with its godstones.
    • Nito wrote:

well to be honest I think the assassin isn't the damage mitigation type of playstyle. Very few assassin actually do that.

The common procedure is:

Stealth - Stun - Damage - if target resists or does damage - defensive skill (shift) and stealth again. And so on....

About the armory - I could say the same from a Paladin/Cleric perspective.

Cleric needs Wisdom and Intelligence while Paladin needs Strength and Wisdom plus Stamina.

The thing if you look at the game and at the Customization Window you can change the properties and the effects. My hope is that you can change the Equipment Stats towards certain roles.

For example you want to have incredible high block rate and want to skip on the defense and get rid of some defensive points and spend them on Strength for Block Rate or whatever.

Or maybe get rid of 1 stat and apply another stat like get rid of Strength and Add Intelligence or so.

Of course this would result in a balance catastrophe so not sure. But I just hope they somehow give us some freedom in this case.

About the special effects - I think that will be the same system as Aion had with its godstones.

I haven't really found a use for stealth since the enemies (at least aggro ones) spot me anyway during stealth (which seems kind of silly in itself), so I always fight everything head on. I never saw shift as a defensive skill either since the enemy can hit you during it anyway. I've tried to use it to get away from enemies before and they still hit me. So the shift -> stealth sequences seems a little pointless since:

A. Shift doesn't prevent damage and if you're using it to get behind the enemy, you're wasting it since you can easily get behind the enemy without it.

B. Stealth won't protect you from attacks, so I'm not sure why you're using this just to pop stun. Stun has a 25 second cooldown anyway, so once it is actually ready, you won't need to use stealth to use it anyway. The only thing I can really take from this is that you're using stealth all the time because you're running with a patience build, but considering your other passives, I'm not so sure that 10% is even worth it, all things considered.
    • Wait wait WAIT, let me see it correctly.. you want an ASSASSIN that is usually the PHYSICAL GLASS CANNON type class to have MORE defence?

WHAT??

WHAT?????

Assassin is a P-DD type, it's a LIGHT class, it MUST die easly. You want more Def? Go play a HEAVY class instead.

Jesus, that complain is totally nonsense!

BryanFury - Leader | Clan Website | Clan Forum | Clan Facebook Page |
    • Bryan Fury wrote:

Wait wait WAIT, let me see it correctly.. you want an ASSASSIN that is usually the PHYSICAL GLASS CANNON type class to have MORE defence?

WHAT??

WHAT?????

Assassin is a P-DD type, it's a LIGHT class, it MUST die easly. You want more Def? Go play a HEAVY class instead.

Jesus, that complain is totally nonsense!

No, I don't want that, lol. I was just curious since they are always giving me heavy armor for rewards after clearing quests and they allow me to craft heavy armor too, despite being an assassin. I mean, it's not like I can craft this gear to sell on a market, so why the hell isn't just class restricted? I was also trying to determine why the hell I would ever go for lighter armor when I'm missing out on 50 points or more of defense?

I realize assassins "must die easily", but when I'm soloing 24/7 over here, I need to be able to survive. If I put on all that light armor, even the trash mobs will tear through me like a wet paper bag and that's unacceptable.
    • TetsuyaHikari wrote:

[..] but when I'm soloing 24/7 over here, I need to be able to survive [..]
      That is not a single player game, that is a mmorpg, you are TOTALLY NOT supposed to go ALONE maybe in the first 30 levels, but after that, it's all about party..... find a damn party!!!!

(YES, i know that in the KR server is a problem, but you CAN'T complain on features you can't use correctly for obviously technical problems due to the "wrong" server.... wait for the EU/NA server than all the things will be different...)

• Don't forget the magic damage reduction bonus.

Maybe when you are alone and killing regular mobs, platemail is ok I guess; but when you're pvping or doing dungeons, that defense isn't going to help you anyways whether you get nuked with magic or don't have enough dps.

Assassin feels like the 'kill them before they kill me' style, and heavy armor won't give you enough extra defense to offset the loss in damage and magic defense.
    • Bryan Fury wrote:

TetsuyaHikari wrote:

[..] but when I'm soloing 24/7 over here, I need to be able to survive [..]
      That is not a single player game, that is a mmorpg, you are TOTALLY NOT supposed to go ALONE maybe in the first 30 levels, but after that, it's all about party..... find a damn party!!!!

(YES, i know that in the KR server is a problem, but you CAN'T complain on features you can't use correctly for obviously technical problems due to the "wrong" server.... wait for the EU/NA server than all the things will be different...)

People can solo in MMORPGs you know, lol. I have been going alone for the most part, even beyond level 30, because I'm still capable of doing so. There are two quests I can think of which I couldn't complete on my own because it required me killing a mini-boss and I just couldn't kill it in time. I'd get it down to about 40% HP or so, but I'd drop before my potions were off cooldown. In fact, you still find a lot of people running solo in 30+ areas. The only real problem about running solo after 30 in this game isn't the content... It's open PvP.

If you travel in a group, one PKer is less likely to try and attack you and your friend(s). However, if you're going solo, you're easier to pick off. Also, I've tried finding parties before by copying and pasting a simple "looking for a party" message with my level attached to it (in Korean), but it has never worked. I've also seen Korean players spamming the shout channel for parties too, but not getting any help either (otherwise why would they still be spamming the same message even an hour later?). So, it's not just me, man.

Probably the best thing I can do at this point is hunt down GuiltyCrown or something and just join them since there are English players in that guild. Either way, the game is fine for running solo though. Most of the quests aren't that difficult. You just have to watch out for PKers, lol.

Cirax wrote:

Don't forget the magic damage reduction bonus.

Maybe when you are alone and killing regular mobs, platemail is ok I guess; but when you're pvping or doing dungeons, that defense isn't going to help you anyways whether you get nuked with magic or don't have enough dps.

Assassin feels like the 'kill them before they kill me' style, and heavy armor won't give you enough extra defense to offset the loss in damage and magic defense.

I've seen the magic reduction bonus, the additional attack power and crit rate too. If the increase in power and crit rate was like 200%, it would be justified, but as it stands... I'm finding it hard to substitute +100 defense for such a small increase when getting the bonus.
    • Do you really get only Heavy Armor as reward? - would say that's a bug then.

Next is - you can craft what you want so yeah just choose what you think suits your playstyle best. Just because Heavy won't give you the buff you can still use it. However the stats which benefit your class may not be on Heavy but on Medium.

About soloing - well coming from a Paladin this opinion is really far of from your situation but in general you can solo the whole game till 45 without even doing a single group activity. You shouldn't expect to be that fast. I mean I'm close to 41 and leveled 99% solo and pvped solo.

Well the thing I go for the stats - not for the defense. Stats are - to me - more relevant since they influence more than just 1 stat. Strength for Attack + Block Rate, Wisdom for Mana Consumption Reduction and what not, etc. etc.
      A full set of armor parts with the right stats on them will make a far greater difference than the difference on defense.
      Since I have the chance to choose between medium and heavy, of course I go heavy. If I had to choose between Robe and Medium I'd choose Medium for Front Line Battles (Paladin) and Robe for Healing (Cleric).
    • Nito wrote:

Do you really get only Heavy Armor as reward? - would say that's a bug then.

Next is - you can craft what you want so yeah just choose what you think suits your playstyle best. Just because Heavy won't give you the buff you can still use it. However the stats which benefit your class may not be on Heavy but on Medium.

About soloing - well coming from a Paladin this opinion is really far of from your situation but in general you can solo the whole game till 45 without even doing a single group activity. You shouldn't expect to be that fast. I mean I'm close to 41 and leveled 99% solo and pvped solo.

Well the thing I go for the stats - not for the defense. Stats are - to me - more relevant since they influence more than just 1 stat. Strength for Attack + Block Rate, Wisdom for Mana Consumption Reduction and what not, etc. etc.
      A full set of armor parts with the right stats on them will make a far greater difference than the difference on defense.
      Since I have the chance to choose between medium and heavy, of course I go heavy. If I had to choose between Robe and Medium I'd choose Medium for Front Line Battles (Paladin) and Robe for Healing (Cleric).

No, I didn't mean to imply that you only get heavy equipment as a reward. I just meant that they keep shoving it in your face as an option, so I always went with the better defense. They give you class specific rewards (like 2 daggers for Assassin), so I don't know why they wouldn't push to give you that light armor bonus too since they already know what class you are. I guess I'll just craft light stuff next time (currently using 2 pieces of heavy equipment, so it shouldn't take that long to replace them). Last time most of my gear was light though, I would die fairly quickly (it's one of the reasons why I opted for more defense).

I'm also thinking about creating a new character too to see how other classes are in this game. Maybe I'll find something more suitable for me.
    • TetsuyaHikari wrote:

[..] I'm also thinking about creating a new character too to see how other classes are in this game. Maybe I'll find something more suitable for me.
      Nah, don't blame yourself, it's not that your playstyle is bad, ANY character can fit you, you just need to play a mmorpg in the correct way, with a Party or even better with a Clan or, more better, with ALSO an Alliance..

• Bryan Fury wrote:

TetsuyaHikari wrote:

[..] I'm also thinking about creating a new character too to see how other classes are in this game. Maybe I'll find something more suitable for me.
      Nah, don't blame yourself, it's not that your playstyle is bad, ANY character can fit you, you just need to play a mmorpg in the correct way, with a Party or even better with a Clan or, more better, with ALSO an Alliance..

It's funny, really. In one MMO, I may prefer the Assassin, but in the next, I may prefer their lance class, and in another, I may actually like playing a healer, lol. I guess in Bless, I just figured Assassin would be the most fun to me, but I've been getting kind of bored with it since I hit 30 (I'm not liking the skills I've been getting since then) and I guess this whole equipment issue just gives me the excuse I need to try out other classes before I get too involved with this one. Who knows... Maybe I'll end up liking the Mage more in this game.

I did make a Ranger earlier, even though I'm not too crazy about them, so we'll see how that goes. I told myself I'd never play a healer, but I actually really enjoyed it in FFXIV, so anything is possible :p
    • Hollow wrote:

Any rogue class relies on Disengage - Re-engage. Knowing other classes and what to avoid helps but the last thing any stealth class needs is an absurd amount of armor.

Which is my main point here. If they would just make the gear class specific, this could have been avoided altogether. I mean, what kind of Assassin/Thief/etc. runs around in iron clad armor? It shouldn't have been an option at all, much like Paladins shouldn't have access to a Cleric's robe.
    • So your concern is that the armor in the game isn't class locked??
      I'm confused... and your statement about Paladin wearing Cleric robes, i swear Paladins are Clerics in this game lol so not sure what you mean by that.
    • Puremystic wrote:

So your concern is that the armor in the game isn't class locked??
      I'm confused... and your statement about Paladin wearing Cleric robes, i swear Paladins are Clerics in this game lol so not sure what you mean by that.

Paladins - in this game - can be a Healer, DD and Tank. But they only use Medium and Heavy armors - hence the armor bonus for Heavy and Medium armor.

What I suggested is that maybe a robe - despite the fact that the Paladin might not benefit from it - may be a good choice for healers since there are some robes with Int and Wisdom.

They basically reward you by choosing the armor type with will give you your armory bonus but don't force you to wear it. I mean if someone wants to play Assassin on heavy armor - let them do it.

I don't really see a point in restricting the armors to certain classes since the bonus armor buff alone is - in my view - good enough for me to choose the suggested armory.
    • Nito wrote:

Puremystic wrote:

So your concern is that the armor in the game isn't class locked??

Paladins - in this game - can be a Healer, DD and Tank. But they only use Medium and Heavy armors - hence the armor bonus for Heavy and Medium armor.

What I suggested is that maybe a robe - despite the fact that the Paladin might not benefit from it - may be a good choice for healers since there are some robes with Int and Wisdom.

They basically reward you by choosing the armor type with will give you your armory bonus but don't force you to wear it. I mean if someone wants to play Assassin on heavy armor - let them do it.

I don't really see a point in restricting the armors to certain classes since the bonus armor buff alone is - in my view - good enough for me to choose the suggested armory.

"I mean if someone wants to play Assassin on heavy armor - let them do it"

No. Don't let them do it, lol. Otherwise, you will have screwed yourself over like I did and wasted mats on something you thought was supposed to be helping you. Also, if the bonus armor buff alone was enough to make people choose that particular armor type, we wouldn't have issues like this where some players are gimped because they chose a different way to build their character, per se. Just because you have the ability to dump points into INT as a physical class doesn't mean you should. It's just not a viable option.

Unfortunately... With them allowing us to wear any armor, it makes it difficult to understand what is actually best for me, especially when you realize you could be missing out on +100 points or more in defense if you don't choose the heavy gear. This is why there needs to be a restriction in place, to eliminate that possibility. Class restricted gear is pretty much standard in MMOs today, so I'm not sure why this one chose to do it differently (granted, this is also the same MMO that's missing a storage of all things...). A Paladin has no business wearing gear suitable for a Mage.

You may think it's okay and people should be allowed to play how they want, but when how they play determines whether they live or die, you should restrict their gear to a more sensible choice.
    • Clearly you have played not enough mmorpg to know how it goes for the equip in general..

In Lineage 2 you could equip ANY kind of armor type, obtaining the ARMOR bonuses depending on the armor set you was wearing (in L2 there was 2 kind of equip bonuses, one from the "character passive skills" AND one from the "armor sets").

BUT

You could take the passive skill bonuses ONLY if you will have used your specified set based on what kind of passive skill you have (EACH class had 1 kind of "armor type passive skills" but some had even 2 types..)

Said that, in Bless, i'm glad you can use ANY kind of equip you wish, because it can help out in some situations, but will force people to play in the right way during the PvP Phases.

I see nothing of wrong with the actually system, to me it's perfectly normal..

Peria Chronicles