Server Types?

• Server Types?

I've been unable to find any information on what type of servers will be available in the NA launch. From what I've watched, it seems like pvp is almost mandatory, or at the least rather difficult to avoid as you level up. Will there be pve servers with different rules for pvp? Has there been any mention of server(s) designated for RP?
    • I personally don't think the game needs them. Every time a game starts out with a whole bunch of servers, it just shrinks down in number. Most games are divided among PVP/PVE servers but this game won't have that option since it's being pushed as open world PVP. In short don't expect more than one type of server.
    • Giangold wrote:

Do you get any rewards from open pvp? I mean the main pvp part of bless are instanced battlegrounds hu? Arena and even RvR has its own instanced map so its nothing like daoc or warhammer hu? So i could life perfect without open pvp.
      well honor points aside open pvp (for me) was for example making sure your faction secured world boss portals and dungeon portals.
      That aside there are or were cash shop items which took you out of the pvp for 15 minutes. Not sure if they still remain on the live server or the rebuild server but it ensured that you get your quests done when gank groups from the other faction roamed nearby.

That being said there is absolutely no need for offering RP, PvP and PvE servers. Simply make servers as they are now in KR.
    • Personally, I believe there =IS= a need for different servers. This is not KR. This the West. We have an entirely different play style here.

Not everyone is interested in PvP. Some people, including the RP community, just want to enjoy the game, the graphics and interacting with friends on quests without having to constantly watch over their shoulders. Also, casual gamers and senior citizens are becoming more and more active in MMOs.

I enjoy PvP as much as the next guy. It's challenging, exciting, fast-paced, you have to think on your feet... not to mention you have the opportunity to kick your bud's butt if you catch him in your territory.

But in order to appeal to the largest numbers and widest variety of people I think it would be a good idea to offer at least one server dedicated to PvE with designated areas in which PvP is allowed and encouraged.

This would appeal to the roleplayers, casual gamers and senior players who can then go about their storylines and quests without worrying about being ganked. If their story takes them into danger, or they decide to challenge themselves against other players, the designated PvP areas on the PvE server are there for them to enjoy as well.

PvP'ers will still be happy because they can continue challenging and killing each other without listening to non-PvP'ers complaining.

All of one thing or all of another thing isn't a healthy environment to keep different types of players interested and involved, but offer a variety... even a limited variety... and you'll have a more solid foundation on which to build a better gaming community.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Baelan ().

• I am very unsure about what to think, in all honesty.

On the first hand, I can't help but think Bless was made with spontaneous outside PvP in mind, that's just how the game is supposed to work. But on the other hand, I know for sure a lot of players (including most of my friends, actually) will never give this MMO a chance if PvP is forced upon them.

In both case, it could affect the game's popularity and type of playerbase.
      Please excuse the bad Engrish. I'm still learning !
    • Lileen wrote:

I am very unsure about what to think, in all honesty.

On the first hand, I can't help but think Bless was made with spontaneous outside PvP in mind, that's just how the game is supposed to work. But on the other hand, I know for sure a lot of players (including most of my friends, actually) will never give this MMO a chance if PvP is forced upon them.

In both case, it could affect the game's popularity and type of playerbase.
      It absolutely will affect playerbase and popularity. You already touched on this, and I'm agreeing with you, that there is a large population of would-be players who wont touch the game if its modeled as a gankbox; meaning there is just no way for people to avoid pvp while they're out taking part in the other aspects of the game.

I enjoy PvP in my MMOs. It's one of the pillars of the genre imo. But its about finding balance. If roving bands of D-bags can just massacre people ad nauseum while they're just trying to quest or farm or RP, soon your game will be left with nothing but said D-bags, and then the game will rapidly deteriorate.

I personally have friends who loved certain aspects of BDO, for example, but ended up quitting because of just such a situation.

I hope people understand that in order for any mmo to be robust and healthy it has to appeal to a wide range of players. Not just pvpers, not just pvers, not just RPers (lmao like any mmo ever catered specifically to RPers...).

Having different server types with different rule-sets is one way of doing that. As to the argument about splitting the population...if your game doesn't have enough people interested to fill 2 servers, you've got bigger issues.
    • I personally think that we should have different types of servers. Because if every single player can disable pvp when ever they want to, the faction system gonna have absolutely no sense, and the game will suck...

Giangold wrote:

Do you get any rewards from open pvp? I mean the main pvp part of bless are instanced battlegrounds hu? Arena and even RvR has its own instanced map so its nothing like daoc or warhammer hu? So i could life perfect without open pvp.
      Something you got to understand is that since this game is from the most part focused on pvp, a lot of players are going to come for it, and pvp was never and will never be reduced to small areas instanced or not. Do we get any rewards from open world pvp ? Yes, the most important one : fun.
    • I was going to try and explain certain aspects of the game...even though there's no point in doing it after reading the other posts, im going to still try it.

It's a two kingdoms at each other necks based story, player versus player is not the only main point but it's what the game was made upon it, there's no on/off switch regarding pvp, there is areas in your faction where you are vulnerable to enemies attack and not.
      The moment you ask for a PVE server because you dont want to bother yourself looking over your shoulder for enemies you are killing the game ._.
      Do you also want to go to the opposite faction and see if there's any sales on their shoes without anyone interrupting your shopping? sigh....

The game won't change for you or your preferences neither ideals...the moment you log into it you are in a different "world" and you have two options...Kill or be Killed.

That's it, play it if you like and if you don't you already know what to do...uninstall it =/

The game can't please everybody and believe me that Neowiz (DEV) did plenty already by trying to please others.

This shit actually confuses me because i thought this would be the paradise for play role type of players, with such a good lore and everything.

Oh well to each his own
    • The setting of this game is a world in which two factions are at WAR with each other. Not "they don't like each other", they are literally in a state of constant war. You play the game as a member of one faction HELPING the cause of war against the other faction.

Bless is heavy, heavy, heavy on story, and what does that story consistently talk about?

Progression in Bless is 99% quest based, and what are those quests about?

Helping the cause, aka the war against the opposing faction.

Half the world of Bless are literally war zones. They are designed to look as war zones (Cheval de frise, weapon racks everywhere, soldiers everywhere, battalion captains, and often guards that will kill you).

Heck, the killable humanoid mobs of Bless are even based on your faction choice, aka you cannot kill mobs that ally with your faction's cause.

This game is about the war against the opposing faction, so a server in which you cannot fight the opposing faction goes against all content of Bless.

Once you actually play Bless, you will see that "war against the opposing faction" is literally what you are bombarded with from the begging to the end. In ALL aspects of the game. Hieron VS Union.

All of My Bless Videos
    • End3r wrote:

It's a two kingdoms at each other necks based story, player versus player is not the only main point but it's what the game was made upon it, there's no on/off switch regarding pvp, there is areas in your faction where you are vulnerable to enemies attack and not.
      The moment you ask for a PVE server because you dont want to bother yourself looking over your shoulder for enemies you are killing the game ._.
      Do you also want to go to the opposite faction and see if there's any sales on their shoes without anyone interrupting your shopping? sigh....
      I'm afraid they might add Peace out cash items for the western regions, which would allow anybody to turn off pvp for some time. I don't want to be in a server where that's a thing.
      I mean, there is for sure a tons of toxic players on EU/NA who could gank you all day, which differs from KR/JP servers...in those cases i understand that some people wants to turn off pvp, but that would kill the game indeed ! And it's at those times that guilds make a real sens to me, being able to call out for your friends / guild to kill the enemy in open world when it's necessary.
      You can also switch channel but i prefer solution number one.
    • Nocht wrote:

The setting of this game is a world in which two factions are at WAR with each other. Not "they don't like each other", they are literally in a state of constant war. You play the game as a member of one faction HELPING the cause of war against the other faction.

Bless is heavy, heavy, heavy on story, and what does that story consistently talk about?

Progression in Bless is 99% quest based, and what are those quests about?

Helping the cause, aka the war against the opposing faction.
      WoW works in a very, very similar fashion. Questing, lore, battlegrounds pitting players of opposite sides against each other, factions constantly at war with playable AND unplayable races that are either going to be your friends or your enemies depending on your allegiance. However, this game has provided players with ways to opt out of PvP since the very beginning, 13 years ago, and it has always been doing more than fine.

Heck, the most successful and adored expansions are those whose theme was the appearance of a larger threat requiring the two factions to put their differences aside and ally in order to survive. I can totally see this happening in Bless with the elemental guardians going crazy, the infernal realm and the almighty pantheon of chaotic gods trying to reclaim their world back.

I'm not saying Neowiz should definitely consider adding a PvE server, but I certainly don't think doing so would "kill" the game. This is clearly an overstatement.
      Please excuse the bad Engrish. I'm still learning !
    • Vhalkin wrote:

Nito wrote:

That being said there is absolutely no need for offering RP, PvP and PvE servers. Simply make servers as they are now in KR.
      Person 1: "Some people want X"
      Person 2: "I personally don't want X, therefore there is absolutely no need for offering anyone else X."

Person 1: "You're kind of an ***hole, huh?"

well let me repost my view then.

If Bless overall develops in a MMO with let's say 5 live servers within a region - assuming we have NA and EU servers - It'd be okay to offer let's say an RP server and a pure PvE server and 3 normal servers. However given the fact that Bless is well... Bless and each MMO suffers from population loss after the first weeks and months I doubt that they will have the financial resources to satisfy all our needs. Especially when there is a cash shop item which is a protection against PvP. So implementing a PvE server would make this source of incoming invalid and they probably won't do that.

To me this isn't something about what I want because I'm okay with either outcome. I just don't want the game to end up like in KR where you merge from 10+ to 1 server within a year. Obviously this has to do with the game itself but dividing the population among multiple themed servers artificially creates a population issue before the normal population drop kicks in which will result in even faster server merges.

It's all about money first.
    • I played a long time RIFT. And at the begin RIFT was like BLESS with two faction but different servers with ONE important possibility: on a PvP Server PvP was always on, on a PvE Server you can play PvP if you want, but you can set a mark that you not will play PvP. The best solution ever.

And one think ... the most players was in PvE .. the PvP server was the first empty server because a lot of players don't like PvP when the are ongoing in questing, tameing and farm material for crafting.

I play BLESS since RU OBT and to be honestly in some classes PvP sucks. A Mage never has chance against a assasin or berserk in 1 v 1. I like PvP with Castro siege. But not open PvP. Therefor I preffer PvE-Server or the possibility to mark me "no PvP with me" to have a chance to get material for crafting or continue on important quests.

My 2 cents about this.

Antyr
    • Honestly, its a faction vs faction game. You have to enjoy all aspects of the game (so pvp and pve). If someone only wants to role play or pve, then Bless is not the game for you. There are other mmorpg's that make it so RP'ers can enjoy the game (like elder scrolls online which has great story-driven quests and a lot of dungeon runs). Korean mmorpgs are more catered to competitive players from what I have mostly seen/experienced. I am not here to make fun of RP'ers, I am simply stating that Bless will not be the game-type they are looking for in a mmorpg.